cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure a cisco 2940 switch as a hub?

james.browniii
Level 1
Level 1

So, I am sure this is blasphemy, but I have a perfectly good Cisco 2940 not being used and would like to throw it in as a hub in my workspace. I am not an IOS person and from my testing this didn't work out of the box and I haven't been able to find anything that says "how to drop this in place to perform hub functionality" so here I am... I appreciate any assistance!

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James

Perhaps I am not quite clear what you want to accomplish with the 2940. If you want to accomplish that you can connect multiple end stations and have each end station communicate with all the other end stations then that should work out of the box. However if you want to accomplish that every end station sees all of the traffic from every other end station then that is something that the 2940 will not do. If you configure SPAN/monitor then you can have one port that sees all traffic from a group of other ports. But the behavior of a hub that every bit received on any port is forwarded to very other port is not something that the 2940 will do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick. After having just received your reply I managed to get it working how I wanted it to. Basically, I reset the switch (holding down the button for 10 seconds) then simply tried another port... I had the uplink plugged into port1 which apparently is not good. I moved this to any other port I was good to go... Although, connecting to a client to port1 would return a 169.x.x.x ip and again moving this to 2-7 (uplink was 8) I was able to get a DHCP address. Thanks again!

- James

James

I am glad that you got it working. Thank you for posting back and telling us what you did to get it to work. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can read what was done to resolve that issue.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: