Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 1300 Wireless Bridge Dot11Radio0 interface is going down & come back

aamirkiani
Level 1
Level 1

Hello every one,

I am Aamir,and have one problem regarding Cisco 1300 Series Outdoor Wireless Brigde,Its Dot11Radio0 interface is going down and automaticaly come back after 5,10,20,30 minutes not stable,this is happening since last two days.Before since three months it is working fine.please tell me solution what i can do for this problem, Thanks a lot all of you.

11 Replies 11

Kunal Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aamir!

The information you have provided is not complete.Here are few things that may be possible.

1. The bridge that goes down is in role of Non-root bridge.And both bridges might be out of alignment.

Root bridge >>>>>>>>>>>Non-root bridge

Concept : In bridge role both devices work as Master and slave. Most of the slave credential is decided by master (Root bridge).

-Non root bridge radio will not comes up if its not see the root bridge.

- If both are out of alignment then there may be instance where they are not seing each other and at that time non-root bridge goes down.

Possiblity 2 : Which I think is not the case.

Root bridge radio going up and down.

1. May be Root bridge not getting sufficient power .

2. Root bridge may be crashing .

3. Hardware goes bad.

Solution :

If the issue is with root bridge then you need to check power source. If that fine then check showtech suport and look if you have any crash file.

If you find any crash file then kindly open case with CISCO-TAC and they will help you to resolve the issue.

If its hardware issue then get the bridge replace.

==========================================

Above I have mention all possiblity . SO check out everything step by step and let me know further if you find somthing different the the above mention senario.

As per my guess it look to my out of alignment issue of non-root bidge.

aamirkiani
Level 1
Level 1

hay KKsingh,I wel come your response,for your information i want to tell you that it is NON-Root Bridge which is conected to Root Bridge.and Root Bridge is never go down last three months.

And 2nd thing about antenna alignment,i don t think so because it is connected strongly through tower which is not easy to shake it,

Please tell me an other solution. Im waiting your response.

Hi Aamir,

We hit the bull eye. Even though it fix on tower and properply align we cannot rule out the possiblity. But you can test following things.

1. Run carier busy test.

Steps > From Gui go to Network interface >Radio > select fourth TAB > Carrier busy test.

It will give you fair idea about signal strength and packet loss.

2. Run link test.

Steps > From Gui go to association > Click on root MAC address > New Window will open up> Run link test.

3.Please share above three output with log message registered on non-root bridge.

Even though antenna are well intact but some time even a little variation can cause lot of difference.

We can verify that part with the above outputs. If possible attach showtech support from both the unit.

## If bridge are associating at low signal strength then it clearly indicate alignment issue.

I don't want to assume anything before test results.

Thanks,

Kunal

1. Kunal, its give error when i am taking Carrier Busy Test on Non-root Bridge.

2.but i can take the LINK TEST which is attached so please you can see.

3.Also i attached the log messages on Non-Root Bridge

4.Show tech-support Output for both unit.

please cheack and inform me about solution.

Thanks,

Aamir

Kunal Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aamir!

Showtech and log message clearly indicate that both bridge are weakly associated and hence we loose connectivity so frequently.

Log : Max retries parent lost

Associated at -92 dbm which is not good (-40 to -60 dbm is acceptable )

If you are sure about antenna alignment then kindly check

1. Antenna, cable and connectors on both end specially non-root end.

2. If their condition is fine then I guess we need physical alignment.

3. In worst case Non-root bridge replacement which I don't thing the case as showtech shows radio and configuration ok.

Thanks,

Kunal

Dear Kunal,

Thank you very much,i am just new in wireless so please can you tell me about dbm(recommanded range),mw etc

Thansk once again,

regards

Aamir

Hi Aamir,

Association in range of -40 to -60 dbm is acceptable range.

Thanks

Kunal

Hi Kunal,

please can you tell me if i did not set the distance(Km) in Root Bridge.it has some impact on connection strength.

Hi Aamir,

Distance configuration is very important for bridge.It help bridge to adjust power.

On bridge you will see 1-99 km as option. Its hypothetical value but we can use it

suppose distance between both bridge is 1 mile. So as per formula

1.6 km = 1mile

hence for 1 mile we will configure 2 or 3 km

if distance is 1/2 or 1/4 miles then set distance as 1 or 2 km.

In simple 1 mile we use 2km .

DO configure it to make bridge function correctly.

Thanks

kunal

Hi Aamir,

I've had very similar issues as you are describing, and what kksingh is suggesting is dead on.

Distance does matter. Also, my problem ultimately came down to antenna alignment. We pulled em off, re-aligned and re-attached them

Also, in the user guide, you'll find a way to check the polarity of the antennas themselves. That made a HUGE difference in my performace.

Another thing I've used is to go into the GUI's (on both sides, which may be hard if you're doing this alone)

Go to Network Interfaces > Radio0-802.11G > then go to the 3rd tab at the top "Settings"

About a third of the way down are the data rates, start by setting 1.0Mb/sec to "required", and all other rates to "disabled". Do this on both sides, see if you have a connection.

If you do, do the same thing again, but this time set 2.0Mb/sec to required, and everything else to disabled, including the 1.0. Continue doing this until your signal fails.

However, it very much sounds like you need a re-alignment.

Good luck,

Kyle

Hi to all,

Buddy i saw alot of good help given by all the guys. But let me put all the things in few points go through these steps if nothing chnages then you most probably have to change the hardware. The biggest problem you are facing there i believe is interferece due to which the hardware may be lossing the link or check if there is any hurdle coming in the path of this link.

First do some alignment from both sides to see if there are any changes in the signal receive strength.

1. Change the channel on both the sides and check on which channel you get the best performance. If there is no change fromt this step then get your self prepared for the change of hardware. Try to use spectrum analyzer to check if the complete band is occupied in the surrounding.

2.Change the polarization of the antenna and repeat step1.

3. Keep the bandwidth at the minimum value of 1.0Mbps when you will be performing step1 and step2.

If the above steps does not produce any result then the only way to get out of it is by changing the hardware either with the one using higher output or using a different frequency i.e. 5.8Ghz

If there

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card