Stacking/daisy chaining switches

Unanswered Question
Mar 3rd, 2008
User Badges:

In the ip telephony design guide it states to be careful when daisy chaining switches at the access layer.

The reason given is that if using Gigastack connections, they can be half duplex.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here but what is the reason for using gigastack connectors over standard gbics. Is it just a cost consideration?

Also if you just you std copper trunk uplinks that would be fine wouldn't it (obviously depending on switch model)?

the only stumbling block to daisy chaining switches that I can see, is the

amount of switches you need to go through to get to the dist/colapsed core and the aggregated amount of traffic that the switch has to process.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
glen.grant Mon, 03/03/2008 - 02:12
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

I have never liked the whole gigastack setup . It makes it a pain in the you know what if you are looking for end users by mac addresses as it will always point to the next switch in the chain and you end up taking a large amount of time logging into all these switches looking for the user. In a star config back to the main switch you know exactly where they are as the mac will point out a single switch it is attached to . Myself I wouldn't go near gigastack after dealing with these with one of our customers , they are a pain .

silex Mon, 03/03/2008 - 02:19
User Badges:

thanks, Glen, good point on the mac add side.

I assume though if you did daisy chain

(smallish installation) say upto 5 switches just by using std gig ports (not Gigastack) with trunking between switches and 1 port blocking for STP this will work fine and will be full duplex between the links.

Actions

This Discussion