Equipment for CCNA/CCNP study?

Unanswered Question
Mar 3rd, 2008
User Badges:

My company is being kind enough to let me use 2 Cisco 2610 routers with t1 csu/dsu modules that we have in stock and aren't doing anything. According to the CCNA books I have this should be ok. Will this be adequate for hands on work/study for my CCNA? They have told me its ok if I nuke all of the settings so it seems like a perfect deal. I know the CCNA is designed with a specific 'standard' router in mind, and if I remember correctly its the 2600. Are there many differences between the 2600 and the 2610?

How important is it to have 2 serial interfaces (according to Odom's blog I should have 2)? Are t1 DSU's the same as the normal serial interfaces, or can they be wired to make the router think they're the same? Each of the 2610's has a single WIC1DSU-T1 and I was hoping I can use a crossover cable between the two. I don't mind buying a little bit extra equipment wise, but having just recently graduated from college money is a bit of an issue so I'm trying to get this built on the cheap :)

I have been unable to locate a cisco switch and will likely have to use a simulator for that (as well as trunking, and other options missing off the 2610). Is there any other equipment I will need for a home lab?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
matthew.sarro Mon, 03/03/2008 - 12:22
User Badges:

I actually have a simulator to use :) I was hoping to get actual hardware since the sims just aren't quite the same as actually doing the work hands on.

srue Tue, 03/04/2008 - 04:54
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

dynamips/dynagen is *Not* a simulator. it allows you to run actual IOS code.

jrensink78 Tue, 03/04/2008 - 08:59
User Badges:

Yes, Dynamips is an Emulator (different than a simulator) that runs an actual IOS image. So it's pretty much the same thing as consoling into a physical router.

I personally like the GNS3 program which puts a nice GUI front end on the Dynamips program. It makes setting up your labs much easier than working in the config files yourself.

rgfrergfre Tue, 03/04/2008 - 06:21
User Badges:

For connecting the T1 WICs you will need a "T1 crossover" cable. It is different than a normal crossover. Instead of swapping 1/2 with 3/6, 1/2 are swapped with 4/5.

1 - 5

2 - 4

4 - 2

5 - 1

If you have the cable correct, the carrier detect (CD) light will turn green when both ends are connected.

rgfrergfre Tue, 03/04/2008 - 06:21
User Badges:

For connecting the T1 WICs you will need a "T1 crossover" cable. It is different than a normal crossover. Instead of swapping 1/2 with 3/6, 1/2 are swapped with 4/5.

1 - 5

2 - 4

4 - 2

5 - 1

If you have the cable correct, the carrier detect (CD) light on the WIC will turn green when both ends are connected.

Actions

This Discussion