Views
Helpful
Replies

Websense URL filtering with Cisco ASA?

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone use Websense inline with their Cisco ASA for web filtering?

I'm trying to get my VPN's and client VPN's and Internal users have their web pages filtered and blocked based on our company policy.

Or failing that see if our ISP provide web filtering.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

contreras
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming all Internet traffic is split tunneled for vpn.

Here's an example below the websense server is on the inside interface and it's ip is 10.255.40.164.

url-server (inside) host 10.255.40.164 timeout 30 protocol TCP version 4

The following command filters every HTTP request to all destinations. You can also choose to specify a source and destinaiton network to filter by.

filter url http 0 0 0 0

The issue I have found is that Websense cannot properly identify usernames. You will get the default policy when you surf.

If your talking about identifying users over vpn I believe that you can use the Radius agent and bind it with your ACS.

Websense will identify users a few different ways:

1) DC Agent - easiest (ties in with your AD structure)

2 - Logon Agent - most accurate, especially for academic type settings (many users on one PC)

As for Websense being the best, that is probably true, but it comes with a premium price tag. There are plenty of others out there, especially open source.

I use Surf Control Web Filter, not sure if it links well with the ASA's though for URL filtering.

SurfControl was recently purchased by Websense. I believe any renewals, fall under the Websense side.

Are Websense the best URL filtering methods around?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card