cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks : Failed to fetch config using RCP.

persepolis77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using LMS 2.6

In Archive Management, I get the following error message for some devices : Failed to fetch config using RCP.Connection timed out: connect Verify RCP is enabled or not.

It is for Primary startup and running and VLAN Running.

I am sure that SNMP read and write string is set properly.

How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks for your help,

Mehdi

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is RCP the protocol that you want to use to fetch configs from these devices, or should some other protocol be used? What type of the devices are these?

I really don't mind which protocol to use. I received this message in my Configuration Archival Summary. I have bunch of successful for Config Archival Status and some fails.

One of the devices that I got this message for, is a Catalyst 2960.

The protocol that SHOULD work is important. That will dictate what credentials RME will use. If RCP is listed as the last protocol, then what you are seeing is RME failing for all the other protocols listed before it.

For SNMP/TFTP to work for config fetch, you must have a valid read-write community string or proper SNMPv3 read-write credentials configured on the device and in DCR. RME will use the CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB to initiate a TFTP transfer using SNMP.

For telnet/SSH, RME needs to have the proper login and enable credentials.

To troubleshoot an issue of config archive failing, you should enable ArchiveMgmt Service debugging under RME > Admin > System Preferences > Loglevel Settings, perform a new sync on one failing device, then check the dcmaservice.log for errors.

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

I activated the debugging.

I have already the correct read-write credentials but the question is where I can set the login and enable credentials for Telnet/SSH.

Thanks again,

Mehdi

The credentials for telnet and SSH are defined in DCR just like the SNMP credentials. Go to Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management, and edit credentials for one of the failing devices. The telnet/SSH credentials are defined on the first page.

In the first page, the only options that I have are :

- Primary Credential

- SNMPv2c/SNMPv1

- SNMPv3

- Rx-Boot Mode Credential

- Auto Update Server Managed Device Credential

2nd page gives me HTTP Settings and the last one gives User Defined Fields!!! I do not see any place for Telnet/SSH!!!

The primary credentials are the telnet and SSH credentials. Fill in the fields you need. That is, if you require a Username to login, specify that username in the Username field. If you do not require a Username, then just fill in the password and enable password fields.

I had already the username and password for Primary Credential.

What I did is that I tried with another username and password and tried Sync Archive, it was successful. Then I changed them to the ones that I had when it had fialed and tried again Sync Archive, and again it archived successfully.

I do not know what the problem was, but now it is working without any error message!!!

Thanks again for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: