Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues using POE with Cat 6a

stanly9999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking forward to install the high end cat 4500s with POE enabled and all the cables are cat 6a for my new facility. Can anybody let me know of any issue of using POE with cat 6a. Please advice if anybody know so that I can use the proper cisco technology for the new facility.

Thanks in Advance.

Stanly Philip

7 Replies 7

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Yes you can deploy VoIP /PoE using cat6

Edit: reading again, you were actually referring to Cat6a which is nothing but augmented cat6 supporting higher frequencies and a future specidication for 10gbps over copper...Do you really need this as it seems to be overkill at the momment for VoiP deployment

Narayan

Thanks Narayan.

But I have heard that there are some issues in using POE with Cat 6a. If there are no problems then I can be rest assured to go for it.

Thanks again

Stanly Philip

Narayan,

Yeah, if its fine without any issues with the heating up of the cable. The new facility needs the VOIP Cat 6a kind of deployment as it is an emergency center. Then I can be rest assure to go ahead with the POE over Cat 6a for VOIP.

Would appreciate if you guys can confirm with any standards or let me know the resource which talks about the heating specs on the cat 6a while using VOIP on POE. Frankly speaking, I too have never heard of any issues but want to confirm before going ahead.

Thanks,

Stanly

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Stanly:

The short answer to your question is no, I have not heard of any adverse effects of using Cat 6a with a PoE switch.

The longer answer is:

Category 6a cable is an industry standard and has nothing to do with Cisco, per se. It is an augmented version of cat 6, which it is said falls short when trying to support a 10G ethernet connection. Hence, the advent of Cat 6a.

Just take note that Category 6A cable is a radical departure from what the industry is used to. The current materials-only cost premium for the new Augmented Category 6 solution can be 80% over standard Category 6.

The cable size will also have a significant impact. Category 6A cable can be as thick as RG-6 coaxial cable, in a throwback to the early days of Ethernet when Thicknet cable was used as the physical-layer medium. But unlike those days, this cable is 'home run' from each outlet and uses up vast amounts of horizontal distribution pathway space.

Ultimately, the overall cost of the cable plant is a small investment considering its relatively long lifespan. But it does come at a significant cost, and it will require more pathway space.

Carefully consider all dimensions of Category 6A and 10GBase-T before you make any decisions about your next cabling upgrade.

HTH

If so, please feel free to rate my post.

Victor

Victor,

I agree with the info which you provided.

But here is my question, it seems to be kind of wierd but I am thinking from the heating point of view of the cat 6a when using the VOIP phones on POE(etherenet port). Would it be safe to use the phone connectivity with POE on Cat 6a keeping in mind the heating of the Cat 6a?

Thanks in Advance.

Stanly Philip

Stanly, I would have to review the documentation regarding heat build-up in the Cat 6a to make a qualified judgement. As of yet, I have never heard of such an issue. I'm not saying it does not exist, simply that I have never heard of it and cannot find any documentation on the Internet.

Thinking intuitively, though, I would say that the heat build-up in the cable is directly related to the amount of traffic flowing through the wire. Being that that is the case, and that these cables are designed to support a 10G connection, I can't imagine any heat problems interfering with the proper operation of a PoE phone!

HTH

Victor

I would appreciate if somebody can check and let me know about the heat build up or provide me with the resources before I start going forward with it.

Thanks,

Stanly

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card