Views
Helpful
Replies

calculate maxthreshold min threshold

gauravprakash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How to calculate WRED max-threshold and min threshold for Gig or POS interface..?

I guess there is a formula.. Can anyone comment and explain that formula..?

regards,

Gaurav Prakash

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are a couple of different formulas, original and revised. (Cisco's implementation seems to use their own, although with some correspondence to the defined RED formulas. Their defaults can also vary greatly depending on the interface and platform on which they're enabled.) The formulas concern the ratio between min and max, drop percentage and weighting constant. Search the Internet for Floyd and RED and you'll get all the science behind it.

As to comments, in my experience, WRED is a real beast to configure correctly to achieve its design purpose with today's usual traffic mix. It works best with speed regulation of long term, TCP bulk flows.

It can also be used as a multi-level traffic priority dropper (i.e. supporting different DSCP drop priorities, e.g. drop AF33, before AF32, before AF31, etc.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card