cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Same-IF VPN with NAT?

HairyM0nster
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone offer advice to whether this would work?

I have a 2-interface PIX 515E behind another firewall. I'd like to terminate the VPN on the outside interface, but have it on a NATted subnet (policy decision for avoiding same-subnet VPN issues), having NATs to both inside and outside machines. I am able to pass ipsec through the external firewall, so that is not an issue.

4 Replies 4

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Richard

As long as you do a one-to-one static mapping for the outside IP of PIX. But If you prefer PAT and forward ports of 1 global IP to outside interface of PIX, forward tcp 10000 and udp 4500. Have never tried with PAT before but may cause problems about GRE.

Regards

Hi Huseyin

Getting the VPN up won't be a problem (At least I don't think it will!), but NATted subnet at the end of the tunnel with targets on both interfaces _might_ not work.

I'm trying to source a spare 515E with 8.x on to test, but in the meantime was seeing if anyone else had tried it. I don't really want to change the live system yet!

The live system does not perform any NATting at all presently; it's almost a fitering router.

Let me understand correctly. Other VPN endpoint has a connected subnet which is same with your local subnet? So this will create return trip traffic issues if I understood correctly. You can try policy NAT at local device to change the source of the packets.

Policy NAT seems to be doing it just right, thanks.