cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAP AP1131 Is there any way to turn off the Round BLUE LED

charles
Level 1
Level 1

The 1131 Access point in IOS mode had an option to turn off the BLUE LED circle on the access point. The access point has been converted to LWAP and connected to controller and now the BLUE LED circle is back.... is there any way to turn it off ??

Can not see an option on the controller.

Very bright in a dark room (ie hospital beds...)

Charles

11 Replies 11

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Charles,

I'm not sure if this works for the 1131, but maybe you could give it a try;

config ap led-state

To enable or disable the LED-State for an access point, use the config ap led-state command.

config ap led-state {enable | disable} {Cisco_AP | all}

Syntax Description

config

Display configurations.

ap

Advanced parameters.

led-state

Enable or disable the LED-State for an access point.

{enable | disable}

Enable or disable the access point's LED-State.

{Cisco_AP | all}

Name of a Cisco 1000 Series lightweight access point or all to specify all access points.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.1/command/reference/clic1.html#wp2384867

Hope this helps!

Rob

You are a star !

It works great on the 1131 as well

Thanks

Hi Charles,

You are most welcome my friend :) 5 points for posting back so that we will know for next time!

Take care,

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Worked also perfect here with WLC 5.1 and 1131 LWAPP:

(Cisco Controller) >config ap led-state disable

Additional questions

1) I dind't found any show command, is there any?

2) Is or will this also be able to change the led-status via the controller webinterface?

remi-reszka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Charles,

I am also Cisco Network Engineer and found you on Cisco Support Community forum. I would like to ask you something in regards to one of your topics if you don’t mind. You mentioned that you would be doing the following “I would also be changing the polarization of the antenna to be 90 degrees off the existing one. IE rotate the antenna by 90 degrees“, have you done it already? What was the result of this and why would you do that? You see I have also a client with 2 Yagis pointing at each other with a distance around 2.5km and AIR-BR1310 bridges. What I am looking for it to get the signal strength better because it seems like now and then the non-root bridge disassociate itself from the root bridge due to weak signal. I heard that by turning both antennas by 90 degrees (changing polarization) clockwise or anticlockwise you can actually improve the signal strength, is that correct? How do you actually do that, by turning the tube in relation to the horizontal axis?

I would greatly appreciate you experience on that and ony other tips you would like to share with me.

Best regards,

Remi

I have installed 50+ wireless links with great success and have quite a few lessons learned.  Two kilometers is an easy shot if you don't have any trees or buildings in the way.  If you have line of site, you should have no problems.

The Yagis are aimed at each other, correct?  I have seen some installations where the tubes are pointing straight up in the air - they were thinking the signal radiated like an omni.  I'm sure you already know this, but I'm just checking.

If you are having low signal strength, you could rotate the antenna - by turning the tube 1/4 turn.  You would most likely have to unbolt the antenna to do this, however.

I've also seen them installed upside down, and then the fill with water.  If you rotate it, you might need to create a drain hole in the radome.  I had to fix this very problem once!  You could also change channels - you might be getting some interference in that channel which is knocking out your signal.

One other question -- how long are your antenna cables from the yagi to the actual radio?  They're not 100 feet or more, are they?  If so, you can either move the radio closer or get a low loss cable.  You can amplify, but that would be the last thing I would try.

Hi tdennehy

Well, first of all thanks a lot for your replay. We have perfect LOS with certainly more than 60% of the Fresnel zone being clear. The Yagi antennas are pointed at each other with no doubt, we actually got while in the "install root" and "install non-root" bridge mode the I and R LEDs on and stable, and S blinking. At times we got all the LEDs blinked fast but I guess we were passing through some strong signal concentrations. Heh, the client sugested to install the Yagi antennas as the omni but I just ingnored him, what else could I say hehe.

When we were installing all the equipment I had a play with different channels and it seemd like CH 1 worked best. The antennas use the cable they come with because the BR-1310 bridges we have installed right beneath the antennas, only the coaxials cables go down to the office to the power injectors.

Please see the attached screenshot from the signal and SNR reading. It seems like we have a little bit of noise. The signal was -61dB to -63dB on the installation day but 2 weeks later it went down to about -65dB.

So, you suggest we rotate both Yagi antennas by 90 degrees correct? I guess one needs to be turned clockwise and another anticlockwise correct? What de we actually gain by doing that? We change the polarization from vertical to horizontal? Could you please explain it to me a little bit more?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience. I am going to troubleshoot this on Monday so I would be great if you could give me some sugesstions. I thought of changing the Yagi antennas to 19dB direccional flat pannel of 3rd party but with this distance 13,5dB yagi I think are sufficient. Does the "distance" settings on root bridge have impact on the signal sterngth?

One more question, at the moment the 2 connected offices are in the same subnet so to speak in the same broadcast domain. On one site (non-root bridge)  they have up to 150 client connections to the servers on the other site (root bridge) but with 20kbps per station making it roughly 3Mbps total bandwidth needed. When they connect all at the same time, our client say the wireless link go. I really don't believe that becasue on the wireless readings we get betwenn 18 and 24Mbps so it should be way more than enough. Do you think by putting both sites in different VLANs would help a little bit so the local traffic would not need to be broadcasted over the wireless link back and forward? Can you shed on that a little bit of your experience? I suspect they have something to do with the switching on local site because when I was pinging the non-root bridge from the local site but connected to a different switch then is connected the Cisco bridge, I got funny reposnses, between 5 and 40ms over ethernet with 10 connections to the remote site over the wireless link but when we pingged the same CIsco bridge from the local site but connecte to the same switch as the Cisco bridge the responses were 1ms. It makes me think that they have some broadcast storming on the local site and that also propagates the wireless link...

Your noise looks okay. I try to get a 20 dBm SNR, and you have that most of the time. I see it dipped to -17, but that should be fine. You do have -63 dBm signal strength, so that is fine.

I think you should create a separate subnet for your wlan link. I am not sure what your infrastructure looks like, but if you could re-design it with with a /30 for a wlan link and change the ip schemes, I think that would help you tremendously. The problem is it looks like you have the same subnet in two buildings, which could be a problem since you would have to re-address them most likely.

Hi tdennehy

Would you be kind and give me some hints to my previous post? I really need that today or latest tomorrow please. Your input is very important to me. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

From what you've just explained to me, I believe your wlan link is fine.

You should treat the wlan link as any other point to point link.  What I mean is that you should not extend your lan to your wlan  link and to the other lan.  You should do something like this:

---lan---192.168.1.0/24----- Router----wlan link 192.168.255.0/30 ----- Router ---- lan 192.168.2.0/24

Now you have three broadcast domains.  Two local lans in different buildings with a routed link in between.   If you have a 100mb/s lan and it has a lot of broadcast traffic, all that is traffic is stopped at the router and isn't sent over the wlan link.

I believe the way your network is, you may have a lot of broadcast traffic that is trying to go through a 5mb/s (or less) wlan link.  Keep in mind the throughput is about half if you're lucky when using a wlan link.  If you bridge at 11mb/s, you are lucky to get 5mb/s throughput.  If you connect that to a 100mb/s lan, all that traffic has to squeeze through the 5mb/s pipe.

I don't know if the antenna is your problem at all.  It might be, and changing out the antennas won't hurt.  Yagi antennas are directional, so they have to be aimed correctly.  60% free Fresnel zone as you mentioned, etc.  If you changed them out for some directional panel antennas and it still doesn't work, it is most likely broadcast traffic.

Is there a network monitoring solution in place?  Can you look at the bandwidth utilization on the switch port connected to the bridge?

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your both responses. I thought the same, the client has a bad switching network design, both sites are in the same subnet and therefore all the broadcast traffic goe across the wireless link. They say the wireless link goes when they have 150 station connecting to the servers across the wireless link and that would make sense because all the PCs and servers are in the same broadcast domain. I am going to be there tomorrow to analise the network infrastructure and monitor the port utilization you mentioned.

Thank for revising my link status data. I will be doing again antennas positioning to get better SNR and signal strength. So you would not advise to change the Yagi antennas polarization? How about the power settins on the bridges? Can I leave them as default?

I attach 2 files, one is showing your VLAN switching idea (concept 1) and the second picture my idea (concept 2). My idea would probably cost more work but I am not sure whether it would be more effective, could you please shed on that a little bit of your professional opinion?

I also attach the radio bit configuration on both root and non-root bridge, could also let me know whether it looks good?

I do have a doubt however in my configuration, say a PC from VLAN4 (siteA) wants talk to a SERVER s on VLAN7 (siteB), would the router at site A need to have a subinterface configureed as Fa0/0.7 for inter-VLAN routing? How about the switch configuration on site A? It should also have VLAN 5 and VLAN 7 configured isn't it?

Once again thank you so much for your input and if you could replay asap, I would greatly appreciate it.

Remi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: