cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Module

wowsersusa
Level 1
Level 1

Basically we have a running ACE context which works however we are using natting and we have some applications complaining that they can't see the source address of things. So I created a whole new context with the following config but I have the problem of when the client is on the server side network the traffic never makes it there.

ACE1/10.0.0.0_Network# sho run

Generating configuration....

access-list ALL line 8 extended permit ip any any

rserver host CE-565-1

ip address 10.0.2.83

inservice

serverfarm host Content_Engine_SF

rserver CE-565-1

inservice

class-map match-all Content_Engine_VIP

2 match virtual-address 10.0.18.101 any

class-map type management match-any Remote_Management

2 match protocol http any

3 match protocol icmp any

4 match protocol telnet any

5 match protocol ssh any

policy-map type management first-match rmt_mgt_policy

class Remote_Management

permit

policy-map type loadbalance first-match Content_Engine_VIP-l7slb

class class-default

serverfarm Content_Engine_SF

policy-map multi-match int18

class Content_Engine_VIP

loadbalance vip inservice

loadbalance policy Content_Engine_VIP-l7slb

loadbalance vip icmp-reply active

access-group input ALL

interface vlan 3

description Server_Side

ip address 10.0.3.240 255.255.254.0

mac-sticky enable

no shutdown

interface vlan 18

description Client Side Network

ip address 10.0.18.251 255.255.255.0

mac-sticky enable

service-policy input int18

no shutdown

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.18.1

if I telnet to the vip from my machine 172.16.6.222 it works fine. If I telnet from 10.0.18.30 it works fine. However when I telnet from a machine on the vlan 3 10.0.2.188 it does not work. I would have thought the mac-sticky option would work but it seems to be doing nothing. Any ideas with out using a NAT pool would be great so we can see the originating IP Address.

1 Reply 1

Kristopher Martinez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are initiating traffic from serverA to a vip that load balances to serverB in that same vlan you will have an asymmetric flow. ServerA is on the same vlan as serverB. Since both servers are in the same subnet, ServerB will ARP for serverA address and send the response directly to serverA. The traffic will never make it back to the ACE. There are a few things you can do:

1. Use NAT to ensure the return traffice makes it back to ACE.

2. Insert HTTP header with client IP address. This only works for HTTP traffic and your application must be able to recognize this header for logging.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/v3.00_A1/configuration/slb/guide/classlb.html#wp1040008

3. Use Direct Server Return (DSR). This feature has been committed to ACE 2.0. This will require the servers to be L2 adjacent to the ACE module and you will need to configure the VIP address as a loopback address on the server. Here is CSM documentation that lists some of the limitations with DSR:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/csm/4.2.x/configuration/guide/netwcsm.html#wp1065827

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: