cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vg224 distance

balukr
Level 2
Level 2

I have a customer who has vg224 for analog devices , they want to connect an analog extn which is more than 100 meters (300 feet).

What is the maximum distance this vg224 ports can go?

Thanks for your help.

8 Replies 8

Steven Landon
Level 1
Level 1

this is more a question of cabling. what is the size and quality of the cabling used from the VG224 to the device?

Regards,
Steve
Please rate all helpful posts.

Please can you elaborate in detail or exact information you are looking for? Cabling will affect the distance ??

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Balukr,

You should be good to go :)

We use the VG248 to supply an Analog device at one of our Grounds Buildings which is at least 600m away. This is via a Tie Cable (24 gauge wire). The max distance listed by Cisco is 975m for a phone with 1 REN. The specs are for the ATA, but the VG's should be quite comparable. Have a look;

Q. What is the maximum distance from which I can drive an analog device with a Cisco ATA?

A. Table below provides maximum distances for this question.

Ring Loads and Distances

Ring Load (per RJ-11 FXS Port) Maximum Distance

5 REN 200 feet (61 m)

4 REN 1000 feet (305 m)

3 REN 1700 feet (518 m)

2 REN 2500 feet (762 m)

1 REN 3200 feet (975 m)

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps514/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00800c4d1c.html#1034692

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob..I saw your answers for an ATA device in the forum but I was not sure that is same for VG224's.

Rob,

Sorry to bug you again.Now the customer came back and said it is app 1500 ft and they want to add 18 lines.Do you think it is doable?

Again appreciate your help.

Bala

Hi Bala,

Not a problem at all my friend :) As long as these are 18 seperate lines (over Tie Cable) with only 1 device attached to each at the far end this should not be any problem! I'm sure you could push twice that far.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Yes it is 18 individual lines going on a separate pair for each line.

Thanks for your help again.

Hi Bala,

You are always welcome!

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: