Views
Helpful
Replies

backup to tftp

mohammedrafiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 6509-E switch with FWSM , I would like to backup the image from flash of FWSM to tftp sever, but every time I try , it does not communicate with tftp server, even I can ping tftp server address from FWSM.

any idea?

Regards,

Regards,

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mohammed

There are several things that might cause the problem that you describe. One possibility is that something is filtering out the TFTP traffic. Are there any access lists on the 6509 that might impact the TFTP? Or are there access lists (or firewalls) along the data path from the 6509 to the TFTP server that might be impacting traffic?

It is pretty obvious, but are you sure that you are using the correct address of the TFTP server? If you look in the logs of the TFTP server do you see any indication that it is receiving requests from the 6509?

some TFTP servers require that the file exist in the TFTP directory before a remote device can write to it. Might this be an issue on your server?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Actually the error message is

#unable to open file#

in flash image name is called image and thats we refering in copy command.

-Access list is set to any any where our tfttp server is connected.

-This tftp server works fine with other normal switch/router image backup.

Regards,

Mohammed

Seeing the error message is very helpful. It shows that the problem is not a failure to communicate with the TFTP server (so most of my suggestions are off the mark). There is no problem along the path, there are no access lists, and there is no problem with operation of the TFTP server. The problem is that the switch can not access the file and therefore is not attempting to send it to the TFTP server.

I am not sure how you specify the file name to be able to copy the image to TFTP. Perhaps someone else in the forum knows this?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I am doing it as below,

FWSM-1# show flash

flash file system: version:3 magic:0x12345679

file 0: origin: 0 length:5865472

file 1: origin: 5865472 length:5548904

file 2: origin:11414528 length:5019

file 3: origin:11419648 length:28371

file 4: origin:21085696 length:280

-----

FWSM-1# dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 -rw- 5548904 asdm

1 -rw- 5865472 image

3 -rw- 28371 startup-config

------------

FWSM-1# copy flash:image tftp:

Source filename [image]?

Address or name of remote host []? 10.1.1.1

Destination filename [image]?

Failed to open image in flash.

just to add one thing more, if I copy startup-config file, its work fine,

is image file has hidden extension?

Regards,

Mohammed

It helps to know that copy tftp of the config file works just fine. It confirms that there is not an issue with TFTP or with the TFTP server.

I am not positive (and if someone in the forum does know for sure I wish they would respond) but I am thinking that the FWSM like some of the other security devices supports TFTP of images to the flash but does not support TFTP of images from the flash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi

Any other security guru can help?

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card