cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting the switch

DonnaJ
Level 1
Level 1

I reset one of our switches so I could changes the IP address and configure for a different location.

To reset the switch:

•Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 2 seconds. Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 8 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.

Wait for the switch to complete POST.

Verify that POST has completed by confirming that the SYST and STAT LEDs are green.

Press and hold the Mode button for 3 seconds. When all of the LEDs above the Mode button turn green, release the Mode button.

Verify that the switch is in Express Setup mode by confirming that all LEDs above the Mode button are green. (The RPS LED remains off on this switch.)

Everything works fine until this point. I connect a straight-through Category 5 Ethernet cable to one of the Ethernet port on the switch front panel and to the Ethernet port on the PC.

The LED's on both bink on the switch it's green and on the pc yellow. And I can't get to the express setup page.

The switch home page loads. But if I click on the Web Console link, I get page not found.

I tryed it with different pc's and still the same. What am I over looking?

Thanks,

DJ

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

DJ

I am confident that you can do the configuration (especially with a little backup support). Go for it :)

The question of addressing on the switch gets interesting (though I realize that some of it will not be as obvious to you as it is to those who have more experience). If you look in the config under interface vlan 1 you will find that there are two addresses (10.0.0.3 is primary and 10.0.0.1 is a secondary address). I was puzzled at first about this. But as I thought about it I realized that there is good reason for it. 10.0.0.1 is a valid address on the switch and you can access it (via telnet or via browser). As you configure the switch and assign a different IP address to the interface it is the primary address that gets changed. The 10.0.0.1 as a secondary address remains a valid address on the switch and your session would not be disrupted. Of course if you are doing this by the console connection then it does not matter much.

So what you need to do is to access the switch. Then go into config t. Then use the interface vlan 1 to get to interface configuration mode. then use the command ip address

to assign whatever address you need for the switch.

Perhaps the more challenging part is to know what address should be chosen for the switch. Do you decide that? Is there someone else who administers the network who decides this?

If you need more explanation then please ask some more question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

DJ

I am glad that my response helped you to see the things that you need in the configuration. Thanks for the rating.

If you are replacing a switch then the IP address to use is not an issue (other than being careful that it gets configured correctly). (I once configured an interface and gave it a subnet mask of 225.225.225.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 - it does not work without the right mask) And if you are configuring through the console you can go ahead and put the address from the switch that you are replacing and it will replace the existing primary address. It will leave the secondary address in the config and you should explicitly remove it with:

no ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

The default gateway configuration from the old switch should be configured in the new switch. Then when you put the new switch into the network (assuming that all the connections are made correctly) it should come up and you should be able to telnet to it (or web browser to it) and do whatever you might need to do.

I am not sure why this switch is so different in its configuration but I will take a guess. some different models of switch were configured differently - in part because several of the switches are products that Cisco purchased and not that Cisco developed originally. Different people developed different products. So several of the products are configured using concepts from the original developers. Over time Cisco works to make the switches be configured more like each other.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DJ

I am not so familiar with Express Setup on this switch but may have a suggestion or two. Does the switch generate an IP address for the PC when the PC is connected? (is the PC set for DHCP and did it get assigned an IP address?) From your statement that the switch home page loads I assume that perhaps so.

If you connect your PC to the console port of the switch (console cable connecting the switch console port to the serial port of your PC and using some terminal emulator like Hyperterm) can you access the command line management of the switch? If so it might help if you would post the current switch configuration.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good Morning,

As you know this is only the second one I have done. After some reading last night, I realized the express setup is a new thing.

The switch did asign the pc an IP address. I am attaching a copy on the switches configs. My question is how do I assign the switch and IP address, default gateway, subnet mask, host name,...ect without it?

Regards,

DJ

DJ

I assume that the switch you are concerned with is the second one (named switch). I see that it does put an address on the VLAN 1 interface and does configure DHCP. This explains how your PC got an address.

I believe that there are a couple of options for you about how to access and configure the switch. If it were me I would use the console port, attach a console cable connecting the switch console port with the serial interface on my PC, and use the command line to configure the things that you need on the switch. It is not so hard and anything you have difficulty in figuring out we can help you with. I would also think that it should be an option to connect the Ethernet port of your PC to one of the access ports and let it assign an IP address. At that point you should be able to telnet to the switch and through the telnet session access the command line commands and configure the switch. Or you could point your browser at the address of the switch (10.0.0.1) and you should be able to configure the switch through the browser interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I have the console cable connected. I believe I can configure it from there. (After all of you help on the other one.)

I'm still not sure how the switch will end up with the IP address I would like to assign it for our network. As of now it has a 10.0.0.1, right? That's how we can access it from the browser, right? I maybe making more out of this but If so, I'm missing something.

Thanks again,

DJ

DJ

I am confident that you can do the configuration (especially with a little backup support). Go for it :)

The question of addressing on the switch gets interesting (though I realize that some of it will not be as obvious to you as it is to those who have more experience). If you look in the config under interface vlan 1 you will find that there are two addresses (10.0.0.3 is primary and 10.0.0.1 is a secondary address). I was puzzled at first about this. But as I thought about it I realized that there is good reason for it. 10.0.0.1 is a valid address on the switch and you can access it (via telnet or via browser). As you configure the switch and assign a different IP address to the interface it is the primary address that gets changed. The 10.0.0.1 as a secondary address remains a valid address on the switch and your session would not be disrupted. Of course if you are doing this by the console connection then it does not matter much.

So what you need to do is to access the switch. Then go into config t. Then use the interface vlan 1 to get to interface configuration mode. then use the command ip address

to assign whatever address you need for the switch.

Perhaps the more challenging part is to know what address should be chosen for the switch. Do you decide that? Is there someone else who administers the network who decides this?

If you need more explanation then please ask some more question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I will be using it to replace a switch at one of our locations, so the IP address is not an issue and we have a system for assigning then anyway. But thinks.

As for the Ip address, it is an issue because although, I'm configuring the switch through the console port in order to set it up, I will use the Ip address to telnet to it from HQ once it is up on the network.

I was just looking over the configuration file for the switch this one is replacing.... And what do you know, vlan 1 has the configs you just told me to enter. lol It's funning how you can see things once you already know the answer.

This switch is configured so different than the other. I often wonder why people don't do things from one piece of hardward to another.

Thanks,

DJ

DJ

I am glad that my response helped you to see the things that you need in the configuration. Thanks for the rating.

If you are replacing a switch then the IP address to use is not an issue (other than being careful that it gets configured correctly). (I once configured an interface and gave it a subnet mask of 225.225.225.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 - it does not work without the right mask) And if you are configuring through the console you can go ahead and put the address from the switch that you are replacing and it will replace the existing primary address. It will leave the secondary address in the config and you should explicitly remove it with:

no ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

The default gateway configuration from the old switch should be configured in the new switch. Then when you put the new switch into the network (assuming that all the connections are made correctly) it should come up and you should be able to telnet to it (or web browser to it) and do whatever you might need to do.

I am not sure why this switch is so different in its configuration but I will take a guess. some different models of switch were configured differently - in part because several of the switches are products that Cisco purchased and not that Cisco developed originally. Different people developed different products. So several of the products are configured using concepts from the original developers. Over time Cisco works to make the switches be configured more like each other.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good Morning Rick,

I configured the switch yesterday. I had a few things to finish up this morning, like adding the banner. I came in this morning and when I tryed to console into the switch, I kept getting Radius: Radius Module not initialized. What does this mean? I restarted the switch after several trys. I kept getting the same message and then it would ask if I would like to enter the initial configuration dialog? I said yes and now it seems I in some kind of setup mode? Why? What happen to all the configurations I put in it yesterday? I'm sure it has something to do with the Radius message I got. I'm going to research that. Thanks again!

I must have forgot to copy the runn config to the start. I'm reconfiguring it now.

DJ

DJ

I am sorry that I was not available yesterday. Have you made process in resolving this issue? It does sound like it might have been failure to copy the running config to startup config. If that is the case you should be able to get out of the initial config mode and then paste the config back in.

If that did not resolve it then please let us know what you have done and what the state of the switch is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good Morning Rick,

Hope you had a great weekend.

I have reconfigured most of the switch. They are some settings that I don't know how to remove or what they are.

I know, I have to setup the trunks. I should have figured this out by the time you read this. And the vlan helper ip's are different. They were wrong.

These are the items in the new file that are different:

vlan internal allocation policy ascending

no ip classless

no ip http securre-server

radius-server source-ports 1645-1646

control-plane

Also,

Can I leave interface FastEthernet0/2 -10 as they are?

So many question? Thanks for the help.

41-switch-310 is the new configuration file.

Regards,

DJ

DJ

The original switch configuration had 2 trunks. I assume that the new switch will also. I also assume that you can figure this out and if you have problems that you will ask about it.

If the helper addresses were wrong then it is good that you corrected them.

As far as the things that you note as different here are my comments:

- vlan internal allocation. I believe that this is inserted by the operating system and that the difference in config probably reflects the difference in version of operating system. do not worry about it.

- no ip classless. I am not sure why it is this way. On a layer 2 switch it does not matter much but I would prefer to see you configure ip classless.

Note that if you configure ip classless it may or may not show up in the config. Most of the time default settings do not show up in the running config. ip classless has been a bit of a moving target as to whether it shows up or not.

- no ip http server. The older version of operating system (original config) had only ip http server while the newer version of code (new switch) has both ip http server and ip http secure-server. And your new config turns both of these off. One or both of these allow access to manage the switch by web browser. And your new config turns both of them off. If that is what you intend then it is ok. But to be consistent to the original config you should configure at least ip http server.

- the radius-server command is probably inserted by the operating system code. You are not using it. I think it does no harm. You can try to configure no radius-server source-port 1645-1646. If it goes away that is fine. If it stays in the config do not worry about it.

- the control plane is inserted by the code. do not worry about it.

I see 2 other things. Interface vlan 1 in the new config is shutdown. This will prevent any remote access for management (telnet, browser, or anything). You should configure under interface vlan 1 the command no shutdown. I also notice that the vlan interface has no ip route-cache. I am not sure why this is turned off. And it was turned off in the original config. In general I would prefer to see ip route-cache enabled (and when you do it will probably not show up in the config) but I do not think that it is significant either way.

Is the switchport mode dynamic desirable on interfaces Fast0/2 to 10 the default inserted by the new version of code? If so I would just leave it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks. I have made the changes you r

recomended with the exception of no ip route-cache. I don't know mush about it and since it was configure that way before, I left it. I'll read up on it.

Thanks you so much,

DJ

Istalled the switch this morning. All went well. Thanks, I couldn't have done it without you. Now to the next project... wireless accesspoint.

THanks

DJ

DJ

Thanks for the update. I am glad that the installation of the switch went well. Good luck with the access point. If there are questions (and there probably will be) post them on the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco