cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LS1010 replacement

agfcadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a LS1010 ATM Switch and it is going to have to be upgraded as far as Hardware. ANy suggestions on a good hardware replacement for this device for my network?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately even the direct replacement, the 8540 MSR has gone EOS as well and cisco now suggest the very expensive MGX.

Suggest you get some spare via second-hand market, especially with the latest cards, the LS1010 really does all what is conceivable from an ATM switch, and you can keep using it for many many years.

Thanks for the information! We keep maintenance renewal contracts with a vendor on our equipment, but it is only good for so long. Looks like around June of 2009 our contract will end on our LS1010 ATM Switch, and we will have to install new Hardware, etc.

I just curious what some others might suggest would be the best replacement as for as our LS1010 goes.

Hi, the thing is that atm is out of fashion, and survives only in some service provider that committed to that with large investments in the past.

Small atm switches, the ones made for enterprise customers, are now a thing of the past. Cisco is no kid in the market yet can afford doing without one.

Sure you can use the LS1010 for many years again without any external contractor if you want, but the above situation means that you have to rethink the application that you're doing with atm, that can certainly be done with IP as of today.

We have an OC3 that connects in to our LS1010 by fiber. We also have an Outside WAN router it hits, and a inside local router that all our remote office connect back to for access by a pvc. All our remote sites are currently using frame-relay circuits. We have been running on this system so far for three years with no problems at all so far. We would really hate to make such a network infrastructure change now from only running on this so well for just three years. On the other hand we do not want obsolete equipment that we cannot get maintenance or parts for either. So you have to do something almost for an equipment upgrade? I do understand and agree that the LS1010 is a good piece of equipment, but you can only get parts, etc, for so long on a device.

Hi,

The LS1010 and its successor 8510/8540 went end of sales less than two years ago:

http://cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps6339/ps718/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd802bf057_ps1893_Products_End-of-Life_Notice.html

Cisco will directly support these until Apr 29, 2011.

If you post here a detailed network diagram I can suggest some simplification and optimization, but from what I understand the atm switch does a nice job and should be left in place, although most customers do directly connect the router to atm services without anything in between.

So if you ultimately keep it, a good idea could be to get a cold spare for just in case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card