cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Home Lab: Can "Router on a stick" be done on these equipment?

alexmchau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...I just got a 2924 enterprise switch today and would like to try out "Router on a stick" configuration. I believe the switch should be fine but am wondering if my router can do it. Here's the router's info:-

2611 with two built-in 10baseT ethernet port.

IOS - 12.2(17), file name - c2600-i-mz.122-17.bin

I found this link that says it is supported on the 2611 with 10baseT ports:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html

But my IOS version is the standard IP, not the IP PLUS. (The above document does not say IP or IP PLUS)

Does this meet the min requirement for the lab?

Thanks. - AC

10 Replies 10

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

"Does this meet the min requirement for the lab?"

Alex, there's a quick way to find out. Try configuring the router for the router-on-a-stick and see if it takes the commands and works! :-)

I'll give you a sample config to go on...

=============================================

Switch Config

vlan 100

name data

vlan 200

name data

interface fastethernet [interface number]

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

Router Config:

interface fastethernet 0/0

no ip address

interface fastethernet 0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

interface fastethernet 0/0.100

encapsulation dot1q 100

ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0

interface fastethernet 0/0.200

encapsulation dot1q 200

ip address 192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0

=============================================

HTH

If so, please rate my post.

Victor

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

as you have 10 MBPS interface you just need to check that are you able to configure the dot1Q encapsulation on your subinterface or not... as Cisco normal recommendation is to use the 100MBPS for doing intervlan routing so see if you can configure the subinterface with the dot1Q encapsulation... the same question I had when I was studying some thing but we configured the 10MBPS link with multiple subinterfaces and configured the dot1q encapsulation and it was working so try it...

regards

Devang Patel

Thanks for the replies. I happen to have this bad luck with the switch. It won't power on today (it was working yesterday). I have the box opened and found the power supply is dead - no output. I temporary jumped 3 wires to two external power supplies (for +12 and +5, bypassing the internal power supply). I have confirmed the switch is working. I need to run to get some wires and connectors from Radio Shack to hook it up so I can run the lab. Will post result. Thanks.

ellendrew
Level 1
Level 1

Configure a subinterface first and try to find out if encapsulation command is present.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

For 802.1Q you will need IP Plus.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Bad news.

I fixed up the 2924 switch and started working on the 2611 router. The 12.2 image (non-IP Plus) does not even have the encapsulation command ! The only other IP PLUS IOS I have is 12.0(16a) so I put that on the 2611 router. When I was in config-subif, there is an encapsulation command but the only option is SDE (IEEE 802.10 Virtual LAN - Secure Data Exchange). No dot1q !!!

I think my IOS is not capable of dot1q. I'm not familiar with SDE. I'm wondering what it can do compare to dot1q or ISL ?

- AC

Bad news.

I fixed up the 2924 switch and started working on the 2611 router. The 12.2 image (non-IP Plus) does not even have the encapsulation command ! The only other IP PLUS IOS I have is 12.0(16a) so I put that on the 2611 router. When I was in config-subif, there is an encapsulation command but the only option is SDE (IEEE 802.10 Virtual LAN - Secure Data Exchange). No dot1q !!!

I think my IOS is not capable of dot1q. I'm not familiar with SDE. I'm wondering what it can do compare to dot1q or ISL ? (I just did some quick internet lookup and it is an old standard, older than ISL)

Well, I'm wondering how much I need to drill onto "router on a stick" but I'm studying for CCNA and like to grab as much practice as possible. But I'm also a poor student and can't buy high end routers for lab. :(

- AC

-double posting- deleted.

But I'm also a poor student and can't buy high end routers for lab. :(

Dynamips is your best friend http://7200emu.hacki.at/

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks. I looked into that before but decided not to go that route. First, Dynamips requires you to have your IOS image (which I don't have the right one in this case). I'm also trying to put multiple Cisco equipments together and I don't think Dynamips can do it. To me, the best learning is to get my hands on real equipments.

At the moment, I may only be able to do inter-VLAN routing by using both interfaces on the 2611. Until I can shell out some extra money for a 2611XM/36xx on 12.4 IOS, I think I will have to compromise with what I have for now.

Thanks. - AC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: