Helpful
Replies

C1751 don't boot from tftp

Martin Kyrc
Level 3
Level 3

hello,

my cisco 1751 can't boot from tftp server. here is a console output:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(1r)XE1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ibld/view.pl?i=support

Copyright (c) 2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1700 platform with 81920 Kbytes of main memory

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0

open: failed to find and/or load the bootloader: "flash:CiscoLogo.gif"

loadprog: error - on file open

boot: cannot load "tftp:c1700-entservicesk9-mz.124-5c.bin 10.2.1.22"

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(1r)XE1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ibld/view.pl?i=support

Copyright (c) 2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1700 platform with 81920 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x12bfc40

Self decompressing the image : ######### etc..

[OK]

I don't see any traffic on the tftp server side (tcpdump running on the tftp server side).

after booting is possible send or receive data to/from tftp server, but router can't boot from it. I try the same configuration on c1760 and all is working. boot from rommon from tftp is not possible (the same problem).

it's a well known problem, or something like this, or I'm doing something wrong?

thanks for help

martin

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Martin

It is a bit hard to tell based on what you have given us so far. There are several things that make me believe that it is something that you have done - but until we know more we can not be sure.

This line of output is very strange:

It does not seem to be something that the router would normally do on its own and more likely the result of something that you did or that you configured. Will you post the config of the router so that we can see what it is being told to do?

Also this line seems to not be quite the correct syntax:

boot: cannot load "tftp:c1700-entservicesk9-mz.124-5c.bin 10.2.1.22"

but without knowing what you have configured or what command you might have entered we can not be sure.

Please post the config and if there is anything that you are doing at boot time please clarify what that is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

config is attached. it's only test configuration for tftp debuging.

flash:CiscoLogo.gif exists:

#dir flash:CiscoLogo.gif

Directory of flash:/CiscoLogo.gif

1 -rw- 1602 CiscoLogo.gif

33292284 bytes total (11220760 bytes free)

I know, that "tftp:c1700-entservicesk9-mz.124-5c.bin 10.2.1.22" is 'wrong' command, but I tried use "boot system tftp://10.2.1.22/c1700-entservicesk9-mz.124-5c.bin" with the same problem - "boot: cannot load ..."

Martin

Thanks for posting the router config. The config and your further explanation do help to understand the problem a bit better. As you state here the immediate problem is that the boot system command is in invalid syntax and the router can not execute it properly. I am not sure why there would be a problem with the correct syntax or why the tftp boot did not work. If you put the correct syntax boot system command into the config and try booting again, capture all console output, and post the output then perhaps we will get a better understanding of the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I changed boot config to "tftp:///" (or "tftp:/") but I got the same output "error - on file open". booting process is attached.

I'm reading documentation and the right syntax is "boot system tftp ". it's not working. I try "boot system tftp://", but it's not helpful. other cisco routers haven't this problem.

any ideas?

martin

Martin

Thanks for posting the additional information. Is there any indication whether the TFTP server is seeing the request? Most TFTP servers have some logging function or status indicator that will show when it has received requests.

I am wondering whether the request is really getting to the TFTP server. It seems to me that usually if the server can not send the file that there is some error message indicating file not found or something similar.

If the request does get to the server I am wondering whether it is possible that the image file is not in the directory where the TFTP server is looking or possibly that the file name for the image in the TFTP directory does not match exactly what you are putting in the router config?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

I thought the same, but TFTP request don't get to the tftp server (tcpdump running on the server side with no communication from c1751 to tftp server).

Both (router and tftp server are in the same network. When I change c1751 to c1760 with the same boot and network configuration, c1760 boots from tftp without problem. I tried change c1751 to another c1751, but the same problem...

tftp server is running, because I tried download/upload files with some tftp clients, or routers. upload/download is running (test file, not ios file) also with 'problematic' c1751 when router is running (after booting from flash).

last note: I played with booting IOS file from tftp from rommon. no rezuest sent to the tftp... I really don't known where is a problem.

martin

Martin

I am wondering if there could be some issue in the configuration that is preventing communication from the router to the tftp server at boot time. Is there any possibility that there is some issue with the configuration of interface address or mask that makes the router believe that the TFTP server is not local? I would not think that it was needed but I wonder if configuring an ip default-gateway might help?

In reference to your last note: when you talk about tftp from rommon is this using tftpdnld?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I don't know about some issues between router and tftp server. both are connected to the same switch and they are in the same subnet and vlan, without L2/3 security on the road. the network configuration seems ok - router can send/receive for example configuration to/from tftp server.

I tried configure ip default-gateway, but the same result... router can't boot.

boot from rommon send error message without timeout.

rommon 8 > boot tftp://10.2.1.22/c1700-entservicesk9-mz.124-5c.bin

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0

loadprog: error - on file open

boot: cannot load "tftp://10.2.1.22/c1700-entservicesk9-mz.124-5c.bin"

rommon 9 > set

PS1=rommon ! >

TFTP_CHECKSUM=1

CRASHINFO=flash:crashinfo_20050214-092255

RET_2_RUTC=0

IP_ADDRESS=10.2.1.5

IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY=10.2.1.1

TFTP_SERVER=10.2.1.123

TFTP_FILE=c1700-sv8y7-mz.123-14.T7.bin

SAVE_2_RTS=13:54:58 UTC Thu Jul 28 2005

WARM_REBOOT=FALSE

RANDOM_NUM=67171984

BSI=0

BOOT=tftp://10.2.1.22/c1700-entservicesk9-mz.124-5c.bin,12;flash:c1700-entservicesk9-mz.124-3f.bin,12;

ROM_PERSISTENT_UTC=1085258672

RET_2_RTS=

RET_2_RCALTS=

?=1

ok, rick, thank you for your help. I'm out of the office next week. when I come back, I'll try to solve this issue... I really don't understand where is a problem, because I had never problem with this (another types of cisco routers).

I will inform you/this forum when I will have some news.

regards,

martin

Martin

I am seeing one thing that surprises me. In the rommon set information it indicates that the TFTP server is at 10.2.1.123. But the copy tftp commands appear to be using address 10.2.1.22. Which is the right address?

I also wonder (especially if the 10.2.1.123 is the correct address) what would happen if you enter the tftpdnld command in rommon? And if 10.2.1.123 is not the correct address, what happens if you set the tftp server address to the correct value and then use the tftpdnld command?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco