cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Skinny - getting all phones to ring at once

davieshuw
Level 1
Level 1

I know that you cant get all phones to ring simultaniously when a call comes in (CME UC520 using skinny).. Ok.

I know I can give all of the phones the same number, Ie 202 on all phones and when someone calls 202 all relevant phones ring, BUT thats a little bit shoddy because when you want to transfer a call... where do you transfer it!! :)

Now, say I have ten extensions

etc

etc

Can I give those numbers a sort of 'secondary' number like:

201 secondary 200

202 secondary 200

203 secondary 200

204 secondary 200

etc.. do you see what im trying to achieve? So 201 202 203 are 'callable' by dialling their numbers, but if someone calls 200 all those phones ring.

Is this possible?

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When multiple ephone-dn do have the same number (primary or secondary doesn't matter), they will be ringing round-robin when said number is called, and will not ring simultaneously.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When multiple ephone-dn do have the same number (primary or secondary doesn't matter), they will be ringing round-robin when said number is called, and will not ring simultaneously.

aarggh. Ok i'll see if I can action that script you posted on another post, see if I can work it out!

cheers

Beside the script, what is exactly the problem that you have with a shared line?

The most common problem is that subsequent calls to the shared line go only to the phone that is active, that is solved by chaining with call-forward busy multiple shared lines in overlay with call waiting, dn are configured with "huntstop channel".

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Paolo,

What about this setup with Shared Line overlaid DN's? Isn't this exactly how they work?

Shared-Line Overlays

Dual-line ephone-dns can also use overlays. The configuration parameters are the same as for single-line ephone-dns, except that the huntstop channel command must be used to keep calls from hunting to the ephone-dn's second channel.

The primary ephone-dn in a shared-line overlay set should be unique to the phone to guarantee that the phone has a line available for outgoing calls, and to ensure that the phone user can obtain dial-tone even when there are no idle lines available in the rest of the shared-line overlay set. Use a unique ephone-dn to provide for a unique calling party identity on outbound calls made by the phone so that the called user can see which specific phone is calling.

Shared-line Overlaid Ephone-dns: Example

The following is an example of a unique ephone-dn as the primary dn in a simple shared-line overlay configuration. The no huntstop command is configured for all the ephone-dns except ephone-dn 12, the last one in the overlay set. Because the ephone-dns are dual-line dns, the huntstop-channel command is also configured to ensure that the second channel remains free for outgoing calls and for conferencing.

ephone-dn 1 dual-line

number 101

huntstop-channel

!

ephone-dn 2 dual-line

number 102

huntstop-channel

!

ephone-dn 10 dual-line

number 201

no huntstop

huntstop-channel

!

ephone-dn 11 dual-line

number 201

no huntstop

huntstop-channel

!

ephone-dn 12 dual-line

number 201

huntstop-channel

!

!The following ephone configuration includes (unique) ephone-dn 1 as the primary line in a shared-line overlay

ephone 1

mac-address 1111.1111.1111

button 1o1,10,11,12

!

!The next ephone configuration includes (unique) ephone-dn 2 as the primary line in another shared-line overlay

!

ephone 2

mac-address 2222.2222.2222

button 1o2,10,11,12

From this good CME doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmecover.html#wp1099687

Maybe I'm lost here (no surprise :)

Huff

well basically guys my problem is this.

Im putting a UC520 into our directors house. Its a biiig house.

He's going to be having around 12 phones (7941's and 7921's)

He's only got the one number.

So when he's in, say, the east wing, he wont hear the 'main' phone ringing in the west wing, so I wanted all the phones to ring so no matter where he was he could hear a phone.

Shared line is your friend. I wrote the script only to address certain quirks, but just to answer from everywhere, is probably not needed.

Yep, that's what colloquially called "chained-off DNs".

You usually want to use the "c" instead of "o" button when doing overlays, because it gives call-waiting.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Huw,

Why don't you put the Shared Line on the first button (Line 1) of the 7941's and just configure seperate DN's on Line 2 for each so calls be be transferred to other ares of the house. The second Line will also be like an Internal Intercom :)

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: