Views
Helpful
Replies

Detailed Device View in LMS 2.6 Status

steffen.plorin
Level 1
Level 1

He Experts,

what do I need to setup on the device self and on LMs to get the status for Envirnoment System and Interface from No Available to the right status ?

Danke Gruss Steffen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As far as SNMP goes, a read-only and read-write community string will give you everything you need. As far as complete manageability, you may need telnet/SSH credentials on your devices as well. It depends on the device type as to how much can be done with SNMP alone.

While DFM can receive certain traps, it does not rely on traps as its primary means of getting device faults. Instead, it uses SNMP polling. Syslog has nothing to do with SNMP, but configuring the LMS server as a syslog host on your devices is a good idea so that RME can get notified about config and inventory changes as well as other network and device events.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nothing needs to be setup. DFM knows what to poll for each device in order to get environment data. If the status is not available, it could be that the device does not support polling of these parameters. What type of device are you trying to manage?

He Jclarke,

danke.

It looks to me that the snmp statement inside of the devices are over configured, as example:

snmp-server enable traps isdn call-information

snmp-server enable traps isdn layer2

snmp-server enable traps config

snmp-server enable traps syslog

snmp-server trap-source Vlan10

snmp-server location f

snmp-server contact h

snmp-server enable traps snmp linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart

When I delete this on a device and let only the community RW and RO inside and the snmp-server host 10.224.44.12 version 2c Snmpv2c

snmp-server host 10.224.44.12 ROcommunity

then I get the environment data.

Can you tell me please what snmp statement do I need for LMS to have mostly all LMS function discovered ? Also is there another place to see the Device environment data, or only from DFM alerts ? I need this based there are some devices without alerts and from the alert history I can not see it !

Danke Gruss Steffen

DFM only requires a read-only community string to do its work. However, LMS as a whole is fully functional with a read-write string. So really, all you need are:

snmp-server community public RO

snmp-server community private RW

Of course, public and private are horrible strings to use in production, so pick ones which cannot be easily guessed. Avoid any '@' signs in your community strings.

Only DFM deals with environmental faults. However, The Health and Utilization Monitor add-on to LMS 3.0.1 can poll environmental and CPU data as well.

He JClarke,

can I understand this in generally for all products of LMS ? Nothing else is needed for config of snmp in the devices only this two strings ? Lets say for faults, events, syslogg and so on. We have on each devices difference statements for snmp some time 20 statement per device. I will have a snmp standart, what provide me all function in relation with LMS.

Danke Gruss Steffen

As far as SNMP goes, a read-only and read-write community string will give you everything you need. As far as complete manageability, you may need telnet/SSH credentials on your devices as well. It depends on the device type as to how much can be done with SNMP alone.

While DFM can receive certain traps, it does not rely on traps as its primary means of getting device faults. Instead, it uses SNMP polling. Syslog has nothing to do with SNMP, but configuring the LMS server as a syslog host on your devices is a good idea so that RME can get notified about config and inventory changes as well as other network and device events.