Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Message Delivery to New Message Stores

egrinkin1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Yesterday I was notified that a few people were not able to access their voicemail boxes. Error, "the server is off line" after entering their password. Messages were SOMETIMES delivered via email.

The network admin added new message stores in Exchange and I did not know I needed to run the Permissions Wizard so Unity can access them.

The issue is resolved now, but the owner rec'd 51 voicemails once the wizard ran properly. Since his exchange mailbox was moved to the new message store, 1/1/08, he received 8 voicemails via email and 51 were held in the failure folder.

Any ideas as to why 8 would work when the rest failed? If it was a Unity permissions error, how could 8 make it out of Unity?

Thanks in advance,

~ Liz

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Liz -

My first guess is that the 51 voicemail messages were from external callers. Before the Permissions Wizard was run, Unity did not have access to the user's inbox, therefore the messages remained in the UnityMTA\Failed folder. However, the 8 voice messages sent via email were probably sent from internal users. Since the emails were sent via Exchange, not Unity, Exchange had proper access to send the messages to the user.

Ginger

View solution in original post

Yes there is if there is an error in the app log you can use EMS.

http://ciscounitytools.com/App_EMS.htm

Check out the videos and the help file.

Rate this post if helpful.

rlp

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Liz -

My first guess is that the 51 voicemail messages were from external callers. Before the Permissions Wizard was run, Unity did not have access to the user's inbox, therefore the messages remained in the UnityMTA\Failed folder. However, the 8 voice messages sent via email were probably sent from internal users. Since the emails were sent via Exchange, not Unity, Exchange had proper access to send the messages to the user.

Ginger

Ginger,

Thank you so much for the fast response. We looked at that first, because the majority of the 51 messages were external. There were a few internal though, so it threw us off.

I listed to them, and one message said, "I'm leaving you a voicemail because Outlook is down" So, the few that were held in the Failed folder were during exchange downtime.

You're first guess was dead on correct!

Thank you again!

~ Liz

Hi Liz -

Nice working with you :-)

Just as an FYI - occasionally messages remain in the UnityMTA folder even after Exchange comes back online. If this happens, you can restart the AvUmrSynchSvr service. This will not impact your voice mail users by stopping/restarting this service from the Services MMC. Also, messages that remain in the UnityMTA\Failed directory may be because the user account/mailbox has been deleted.

Regards, Ginger

Ginger,

Follow up question. Is there any way to be notified when a message is held in the UnityMTA\Failed folder?

Yes there is if there is an error in the app log you can use EMS.

http://ciscounitytools.com/App_EMS.htm

Check out the videos and the help file.

Rate this post if helpful.

rlp

Thanks for the link. I have EMS set to notify me for a number of errors. Thank you for taking the time to help me today. I am consistantly impressed by the level of support I get in this forum.

Have a wonderful day!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: