cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metroethernet link - slow link

IgorHamzic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I have a following problem with one of the offices connected through metroethernet to the central location. From time to time during the day they complain that the transfer to the central location is slow.If in that instant I ping some of the PCs and network equipment at the location from the central location I receive terrible response times, sometimes even in the range of 200 ms and they are not even using the whole of the link but are just below 1 Mbit mark. I have checked all the interfaces for possible problems on all the routers and switches on both ends and I don't see any problems no errors, no dropped packets,nothing. Moreover the ping between devices on location when it happens is great. I think the problem might be with the provider as the link is realized over a modem they installed and a twisted pair but every time I contact them with the problem they say they don't see anything wrong.

The absolute kick is that other offices that are connected to the same equipment on the central location and their links on location are realized the same way don't experience the problem.

Is there some way to further test the link between the central location and the remote office to see if anything affecting the link?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You could also configure SLA tests, if supported on your Cisco equipment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There's is a variety of free tools that measure latency and bandwidth and produce graphs over time. Hopefully they will prove to yous SP that trunks are congested, but at the end of the day it's a matter of business ethics for them to do that.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Request for your provider to perform and end-to-end loopback test to verify if there is any bit error in the physical link.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You could also configure SLA tests, if supported on your Cisco equipment.

Thanks for all the great replies guys. I think I will go with SLA tests first for some time and see what results I will get. I will set up SLA to do ICMP tests between two routers set up for that purpose on central location and in the remote location.

If I get some funny results I'll contact the service provider so they can do more tests.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card