cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension of Vlan (subnet) over layer 3

sanketpatel
Level 1
Level 1

My company has 2 building in same campus.Before we have single VTP domain -common vlan enviroment.we have trunk connectivity between distribution switches of Bldg1 and Bldg2.

Now we are going to bulid saperate VTP domians for Bldg1 and bldg2 -switching enviroment for both buildings. Only layer 3 connectivity.

Issue is we have voice server in vlan X at bldg1 and some voice server in same vlan X at bldg 2.

voice servers are criticle and I can not migrate them,So I have to extend the same vlan (subnet) over layer 3.

I have found one soln. LAM-Local Area Mobility.Can it work for my issue? if yes Is there any overhead of LAM as this vlan x has criticle voice servers.

Is there any other solution?

9 Replies 9

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Sanket:

I was in a similar situation once with one of my clients and I resolved it by using a Metro Ethernet connection between 2 layer 3 switches, in which I passed routing updates between the two over a dot1q trunk.

I had a 3560 on one end and a 4506 on the other end. Both layer 3 enabled.

3560 Config:

vlan 2

Server_Vlan

vlan 21

Layer_3_peers

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Connection to TLS

switchport access vlan 21

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 21

switchport mode trunk

load-interval 60

interface Vlan21

description Connection to TLS

ip address 172.16.200.5 255.255.255.248

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

!

router eigrp 200

network 172.16.200.0 0.0.0.255

no auto-summary

4506 switch:

vlan 2

Server_Vlan

vlan 21

Layer_3_peers

interface GigabitEthernet2/1

speed 1000

duplex full

switchport access vlan 21

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 21

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree guard loop

interface Vlan21

description TLS WAN vlan

ip address 172.16.200.1 255.255.255.252

router eigrp 200

network 172.16.200.0 0.0.0.255

no auto-summary

=============================================

Vlan 21 was the vlan created for the layer 3 routed connections.

This set up allowed me to extend vlan 2 across the dot1q trunk, while still exchanging routes over it. Strange, I know!

HTH

If so, please rate my post

Victor

Thanks a lot Victor,

How can I control that only vlan2 would be expanded.Hows can Vlan 2 know that it is expanded as in config on trunk port there is no commnad perticuler to vlan2.

I would appreciate if you provide some details.

Sanket:

If you dont specify exactly which vlans to allow on the trunk, traffic from all vlans will be allowed by default. Otherwise, you would use the switchport trunk vlan allowed 2,21 command under the trunk interface.

HTH

Victor

noroutes4u
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like you're trying to extend l2 across. If you have an mpls core, then AToMPLS, or Ethernet over MPLS would do the trick. If you not, l2tp would do it.

Can it impact voice traffic??As this subnet has voice servers.

Thanks

You mean, you have multiple CM arranged in a cluster across this extension? It should not as long as you're within the 40ms intercluster delay spec.

I am not sure what exactly..but a simple trunking done on the switch should do.

we have call centre so we have some application and monitring servers.I think l2tp will work in my case.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card