cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Bounded Updates

mike15400
Level 1
Level 1

What do it mean that EIGRP features "Bounded Updates"?

9 Replies 9

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Mike:

A bounded update is a triggered route update that is sent only to those routers that need the information. The purpose is to conserve bandwidth.

HTH

Victor

Mike

To supplement the answer from Victor it may help to understand "routers that need the information". The thing that makes the update bounded is usually summarization or perhaps route filtering. The update is propagated to all neighbors who should know that particular route. But at the point where that route gets summarized or that route gets filtered out then there is no need to advertise that prefix any further.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick:

can you clairfy "who should know that particular route"?

Can you post a configuration example?

Thanks

Victor

Victor

For example

interface Fast0/0

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

router eigrp 10

network 10.0.0.0

This will generate an advertisement for 10.10.10.0/24 to all neighbors of that router (they should know this route). Those neighbors will advertise that route (prefix) to their neighbors (they should know this route). Now assume that one of these neighbors creates a summary address for 10.10.0.0/16 on its interfaces. The neighbors out those interfaces have no need to know 10.10.10.0/24 but instead will need to know 10.10.0.0/16

Alternatively perhaps some neighbor has configured a distribute list to deny 10.10.10.0/24 out some interface. The neighbors out that interface do not need to know that route.

Does that help?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This will generate an advertisement for 10.10.10.0/24 to all neighbors of that router (they should know this route).

OK, that clears up that.

It's a language thing, you know...the words chosen...

As far as "need to know" routes, I guess it would be better stated as "allowed to know". IOW, the neighbors out that interface are only "allowed to know" the summary route.

I know it sounds like hair-splitting semantics, but in this case, a slight change in the words can confuse the issue considerably.

Thanks

Victor

Victor

I absolutely agree with you that language and semantics are very important and frequently how we say things (the words that we choose) may help to clarify or may cause confusion.

I can see the alternative of describing it as "allowed to know" but I believe that there is a sense in which "need to know" is quite appropriate. In designing the network someone decides that certain neighbors need to know a certain level of detail (so that they will make appropriate forwarding decisions) and that other neighbors need to know less detail and will still make appropriate forwarding decisions.

[edit] As I think about it part of where I am coming from is an aspect of decision making theory that asks: how much information do you need to make the right decision. I believe that underlies the appropriate design of the network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Whatever floats your boat ;-)

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Typically, we speak of bounded queries, not bounded updates.... Maybe that adds to the semantic muddle.

:-)

Russ

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The bounded update, is done when eigrp stablishes neighbor relationship, and whenever there is a changes on eigrp (periodic changes) and its a reliable.

the Query and the reply are also reliable handled by RTP.

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card