cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router password issue

rashev_kamen
Level 1
Level 1

This is going to be probably very stupid question to you guys but I'm a new in the cisco routing. We got 2821 router and configured it. It was with default passwords 'cisco' , 'cisco'. I used #enable secret XXXXXX to change password and now when I try to telnet it's asking me for username and password. What suppose to be the username? Am I gonna be asked for username if I use console connection?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Rashey, your question is not stupid at all.

If you have a router configured with a username and password and the login local command configured under line vty 0 4, you will be prompted for the username and password when you telnet to the router.

Example:

username MY ROUTER password MYPASSWORD

line vty 0 4

login local

You will also get prompted for a username and password if you're configured for TACACS, but that's another story. :-)

Try going in through the console.

HTH

If so, please rate this post.

Victor

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Am I gonna be asked for username if I use console connection?

If you enable aaa new-model it will affect all incoming connections to the router and if you forgot to enter an username & password in the configuration, your only choice is rebooting the router.

Hopefully, you didn't save the config after making those changes, if you did, you will have to perform a password recovery.

Let's us know what kind of configuration was entered in addition to "enable secret". That command by itself won't cause the username prompt.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card