Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual-Template ip unnumbered to vlan

Algirdasss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring L2TP (without IPSec) tunneling between CISCO 850 router (acting as LNS) and Windows XP (acting as LAC). I want to allow full access to internal network (including layer 2 packets)to clients connecting through L2TP tunnel. I created Virtual-Template and unnumbered its ip to Vlan interface, that include all switching ports (FE0-FE3). So all clients reside in single subnet, I use the same DHCP pool and I don't need to do any routing. The problem is that when none devices are connected to these FE0-FE3, Vlan1 interface has state DOWN and as I suspect because of that clients, that are connected through L2TP cannot ping or access router in any other way. When I connect to Vlan1 single device, everything is working fine. How to fix it?? Pleae help.

I attached my IOS configuration file

Thanks indeed

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

At least one of the devices should be connected to any of the FE ports to keep the interface up. As a workaround try configuring a loopback or interface and un-number its ip to VLAN interface.

Yep... clear. I created interface loopback, assigned it necessary IP address and then unnumbered Vlan and Virtual-Template IP address'es to it. Everything works fine.

Thanks for help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: