Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual-Template ip unnumbered to vlan

Algirdasss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring L2TP (without IPSec) tunneling between CISCO 850 router (acting as LNS) and Windows XP (acting as LAC). I want to allow full access to internal network (including layer 2 packets)to clients connecting through L2TP tunnel. I created Virtual-Template and unnumbered its ip to Vlan interface, that include all switching ports (FE0-FE3). So all clients reside in single subnet, I use the same DHCP pool and I don't need to do any routing. The problem is that when none devices are connected to these FE0-FE3, Vlan1 interface has state DOWN and as I suspect because of that clients, that are connected through L2TP cannot ping or access router in any other way. When I connect to Vlan1 single device, everything is working fine. How to fix it?? Pleae help.

I attached my IOS configuration file

Thanks indeed

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

At least one of the devices should be connected to any of the FE ports to keep the interface up. As a workaround try configuring a loopback or interface and un-number its ip to VLAN interface.

Yep... clear. I created interface loopback, assigned it necessary IP address and then unnumbered Vlan and Virtual-Template IP address'es to it. Everything works fine.

Thanks for help