Views
Helpful
Replies

EEM on a 6500

achrich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Im looking at doing some EEM on a 6500 running 122-18.SXE6 but im not sure if this is supported on the code I`m running.

We want to get EEM to shut some Tunnels when we detect a remote failure.

RTR operation to ping remote router - no issues

EEM applet to pull OID and generate a syslog message - no issues

EEM applet to monitor for that event and shut the interface down via a CLI action.

Cannot get the last bit to work and so not sure even if thats supported.

Would it be possible to use TCL scripts on that version of code as upgrading isn`t really an option ??

Cheers for any help on this.

7 Replies 7

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can use Feature Navigator to check the feature support.

www.cisco.com/go/fn

To shut the interface via CLI, you can use a object track pointing to that route and if it is down, the action shud be to use CLI to shut down the interface.

For a similar example, see "EEM Sample Configuration: EEM with Applet Policy" section in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6815/config_guide_eem_configuration_for_cisco_integrated_services_router_platforms.html

HTH,

Nagendra

Thanks...ive tried that route and its not very clear on the Navigator if its supported or not..some EEM is supported its just not obvious which version of EEM its running.

Tracking its not really an option as on that version of code you can only track interface line up / downs.

Cheers

Hi,

The other option is to write a TCL script, to check the routing table @ equal interval of time and match your remote site route and if it is missing in routing table, the script needs to shut the tunnel interface. A sample TCL script can be seen in the same document which I ahve mentioned earlier.

Also you can use EEM scripting community to see if you have any script similar to your requirement.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/EEM?page=main

HTH,

Nagendra

The RTR option is the only way to go really as the routes are a couple of hops away and statically placed...

EEM monitors the OID generated by RTR and generates a syslog message when it detects a failure in RTR returns a failure code.

Im really just need to know if EEM on the kit im running actually is capable of monitoring the syslog and then doing CLI / TCL scripts.

Cheers

Hope you have access to the 6500. If so try, the below command,

event manager applet TEST

action 1.0 cli command enable

If so, you can configure the action to shut the tunnel interface.

You need EEM ver 2.1 inorder to have cli executed as part of action. But I am not sure if the version you have supports EEM ver 2.1.

HTH,

Nagendra

Thanks, nice of Cisco to include CLI commands on the software that aren`t supported !!

I added an basic event to your test and it didn`t pick it up so assuming I need 12.2(18)SXF

Cheers

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EEM isn't supported on Cat6500 IOS until 12.2(18)SXF5. The same goes for tclsh. While some commands may exist prior to that, functionality isn't up to what is documented until you move to SXF5.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card