cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1231A Access Point and 3rd Party PoE Injector

kopchikc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a TrendNet TPE-101I power injector and I'm trying to power a 1231A via PoE. The injector is 802.3af-compliant. Is there any way to make this work with a 1231 or do I need to go find a Cisco-branded injector for this model? I attempted to make a reverse polarity Cat5 cable yesterday, but that didn't seem to work. I am by no means a skilled cable-maker, so it may have been what I built. I crimped a standard 568B pinout on one side (WOr-Or-WGr-Bl-WBl-Gr-WBr-Br) and the following pinout on the other end: WOr-Or-WGr-WBr-Br-Gr-WBl-Bl. I know these APs were part of the nascent days of 802.3af, so given reverse polarity, what did I do wrong? Or is it simply not possible? -Chris

1 Reply 1

kevinglong
Level 1
Level 1

Chris, it appears you need to make a cable that has "straight-thru" data but "crossover power" looking at your wire color description.

I would suggest using two jacks with 24gauge wire between them instead of trying to crimp the RJ45 connectors for ease of rewiring.

Sounds like you are adapt at making cables so try this:

Between the jacks wire pins 1,2,3 & 6 together.

Then wire pin 4 on jack 1 to pin 8 on the other and pin 5 on jack 1 to 7 on the other to cross the power. Then wire from jack 2 to 1 the same way.

This should have the appearance of connecting the blue pins to the brown ones keeping the correct polarity.

Good luck.

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card