MPLS Bridged Ethernet Handoff to Remote office 871 Router

Unanswered Question
Mar 6th, 2008

I have a remote office connected via a new MPLS Circuit and the carrier gives us an bridged ethernet handoff.

We purchased an 871 Router that has 4 switchports and one WAN port. I want to use f0 port to connect to our 3COM POE phone/workstation switch.

Our main office router IP is

I configured the WAN port on this remote router to be We use RIP2, and I could not get any advertisements across. I had IP Proxy arp enabled - and even configured the default static route to route to the FE4 (WAN) interface -and still cannot ping the 10.1.3 network from the clients or the remote router. I get dest net unreachable. I've tried enabling VLANS, BVI brides, Trunking the connection to the switch, etc.

Will this router work in my situation? Anything special I have to do? I can post the config - although I think it is currently off on the wrong track from all the stuff I've tried.

Thanks for any help!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 03/06/2008 - 13:01

you need to configure some address like 10.2.3.x under fa4.

Then if you can't ping your bridged mpls service is not working.

Mohamed Sobair Thu, 03/06/2008 - 13:32

If its L2VPN, then its all about p-t-p IPs,

you will need 10.2.3.x on the remote wan, and have static route pointing to each LAN network in every router.

you dont need (IPproxy-arp), and the destination unreachable is a message sent by a router indicates there is no route for specific Network.

This Discussion