cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0.1 Discovery Hangs

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

I am having an issue in LMS 3.0.1 where the CS Device Discovery jobs hang and do not discover anything new. The discovery jobs show running in the job listing, but if I go to the Device Discovery Summary it says Recent discovery information not found. The discovery jobs never complete and show running for days until manually stopped. Devices already in CS stay there and in other apps, but new discoveries will not work. Has anyone else run into this? Best I can tell this started after we updated to 3.0.1 with the december 2007 update. Let me know if you have any ideas?

19 Replies 19

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is one bug that could account for this. Do you have a lot of IP phones in your network?

Around 300 IP Phones

You sre seeing CSCsm13114. A patch is available from the TAC, and dropping your discovery SNMP timeouts and retries is a workaround to speed up the process. It would also be good to see your CSDiscovery.log to rule out any other obvious problem that could also be contributing to a long discovery.

Joe,

Can you please let me know what the patch file is that you are refering to. My TAC engineer first said there was no patch available, but now says there is one but it is untested, and he says the one time it was tried it did not work, but he will be posting it for me anyway to try.

There is only one patch. It has been tested, and it does work for the phones that it supports. It is trivial to add new phones to the patched XML files, though. The official patch will come out with LMS 3.1, and it will scale to all Cisco IP phones.

Thanks Joe,

My TAC engineer just sent me the discovery.jar and CSDiscovery-config.xml files that I'll be loading shortly.

You should have also received a system-config.xml. Without it, the patch will not work.

Thanks Joe, I'll let him know I am missing one file as he only sent me the discovery.jar and CSDiscovery-config.xml files.

Hi Joe,

Just to let you know, that patch did not change anything. I started a discovery yesterday morning after loading the patch and rebooting the server and the discovery has been running 24 hours now. If you have any other suggestions they would be much appreciated. I'm also contacting my TAC engineer to see what he thinks.

agivens02
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Were you able to resolve this issue? I have encountered a similar problem with discovery "hangs". Glad to see that I am not the only one encountering this error.

I ended up upgrading to 3.1 and it seemed to fix the problem. TAC was really not helpful on this issue, so I just switched to 3.1 and the problem went away.

Ok. Thanks. I assume this upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.1 was not a "free" upgrade. I did not see any patches that will update 3.0.1 to 3.1. Again I appreciate the information as TAC has been less than helpful with my issue also.

3.01 to 3.1 is a media upgrade kit on DVD ... lots of files , too large for download for most (well we've got a OC192 but most dont)

to get the DVD media you need an active Service Contract number for LMS that you can enter at

www.cisco.com/upgrade

to place an order free of charge;

If you want to download the update go to

www.cisco.com/go/nmsevals

see some details in this thread:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&topicID=.ee71a02&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc21ab8

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco