cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone with LLDP-MED on Nortel Switch

jrhofman
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get some insights into the capabilities of running LLDP-MED between a Cisco phone and a Nortel switch. I know 8.3.3 firmware will support LLDP-MED but don't know of any actual deployments.

The most important aspect is whether the Cisco phone will dynamically land on a Voice VLAN on the Nortel Switch (similar to how CDP works).

Does anybody have any experience with this?

5 Replies 5

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Which phone model and Nortel switch?

This is an RFP response. The phones we will likely propose will be 7942's-7962's.

The Nortel closet switches are 5520's. They do not indicate in the RFP if these switches support LLDP-MED but they do state PoE and QoS support.

I'm going to go research the 5520 right now.

Thanks.

Hi,

Did you ever get the Cisco IP phones working with the Nortel 5520's. Any Configuration is greatly appreciated.

Nope, I got no feedback from Cisco or anyone else. We decided not to respond to the RFP.

jguay
Level 1
Level 1

This is an old post but since the subject is rare I thought I'd answer it.

We've had success getting Cisco IP Phones work on a stack of Nortel/Avaya ERS5520 software version 6.2 using LLDP-MED.  The Cisco phones dynamically get their voice vlan id through LLDP-MED and do their DHCP request on the correct vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: