Helpful
Replies

broadcast problem in LAN

ajaysahoo
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i am getting unicast ie to my machine only , but when i am trying to do

broadcast,none of pc in network getting broadcast.

my pc ip is 10.3.128.201

subnet mask 255.255.240.0

i have given bcast address in my code as

is there any problem in my bcast address?/?

please help...

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Your broadcast address should be

Your network is 10.3.128.0 255.255.240.0 which means you have 16 class C subnets

10.3.128.0 -> 10.3.143.0

Jon

thnks a lot Jon

hi

i have given bcast ip as 10.3.143.255

now also i am not getting broadcast.

is there any problem with UDP port?/?

Ajay

Ajay

What exactly are you trying to do and how do you know that you are not receiving any broadcasts ?

Jon

i have a braodcast process which is receiving messeges from some source.Now i have to send these messeges to all front end guys.when i do unicast, i am able to get messeges.

but when i give broadcast ip, no one (including my self) is getting messeges.

my application is running on AIX.

Ajay

Ajay

I am still a bit confused about your topology and about your problem. Can you clarify whether the device that is issuing the broadcast is within the subnet and sending broadcast to the subnet or if it is outside the subnet and sending the broadcast.

If the source of the broadcast is outside the subnet then I believe that I understand the problem and can suggest a solution. First lets be clear about some terminology. If a packet is sent from outside the subnet to the subnet broadcast address then this is termed as a directed broadcast. And directed broadcast is not enabled by default in the IOS. There is an interface configuration command ip directed-broadcast. If you configure that command on the interface then it will enable forwarding of directed broadcasts from outside onto the interface and will reach all the devices within the subnet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card