CCNA books, what to buy??

Unanswered Question
Mar 7th, 2008

With so many books out there which one does the exam questions get pulled from? (I dont want to buy a book with missing content) I was thinking of getting this one:

CCNA Exam 640-802

Cisco Press; 3 edition (Sep 14, 2007)

Wendell Odom

ISBN: 1587201836

This *should* be enough? and probably all those other books out there base most of their content on the cisco book?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mohammad_atef Fri, 03/07/2008 - 21:21

I think Sybex book is the best but i didnt read too much in the other books

Hi cert4me79

I introduce two books to you

CCNAOfficial Exam Certification Library (CCNAExam 640-802) (Exam Certification Guide))

ISBN-10: 1587201836

ISBN-13: 978-1587201837

CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802

ISBN-10: 0470110090

ISBN-13: 978-0470110096

Hope to help you

celticfc2007 Fri, 03/21/2008 - 00:05

I have the 2nd edition of Wendell's ICND1 book, and just picked up the ICND2 last week.

I have yet to read another text that explains things with the same level of clarity and detail, by far the best book for CCNA I've read. In a word, the book is "quality".

As far as the Sybex books, I have the CCNA 5th edition. Apart from the lab work in the book, I wish I didn't spend the money on it. I picked it up, based on book reviews. But its level of clarity when explaining some things is poor (especially compared to Wendell Odom or Chris Bryant texts). The worst part of the book, is the amount of errors, especially on review questions. Even the errata has errata. lol

I picked up the CCNA Portable Command Guide by Scott Empson. I haven't used it much yet. But its well organized, book. My only complaint about the book, is the filler pages; around 50 total, a combination of blank (write your own journal pages) and a chapter on linksys wireless (come on, Linksys is consumer grade, why put it in a CCNA book).

From what I've read, most people on various levels of the certification track rely on on official Cisco books.

Good luck

pankaj_goyal Fri, 03/21/2008 - 00:52

Hello there

As you said there are various books out there. The most popular being CCNA by Todd Lammle (Sybex publications) and ICND1 & ICND2 by Wendell Odom (Ciscopress publications).

If you want to study deep in all topics, want detailed explainations, there is nothing like ICND1 and ICND2. But if you have basic knowledge about networking, just want to study for CCNA (exam point of view), Todd Lammle's book will help you. For subnetting, Chris Bryant's methods are highly popular.

Also these Command Libraries, Fast Track CCNA books, etc are good only for overview of topics.

So you can make a choice depending upon your needs.

(I dont want to buy a book with missing content) >>>> Go for ICND1 & ICND2. I bet you wont miss anything.

This Discussion