cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Route to EIGRP

JIM COURTNEY
Level 1
Level 1

I have been asked to change a totally static route network with multiple vlans and layer3 switching to an EIGRP network. My director was told that we need to either run STP or Routing protocol but not both. I thought that we should run both. PLease give your thoughts. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Jim:

I'm not sure what your management is thinking, but STP and EIGRP perform 2 totally separate and unrelated tasks.

EIGRP is a routing protocol that routes IP, IPX or Apple Talk (Layer 3) traffic which allows a router to advertise network reachability to its neighbors. It would replace your current static route methodology with a dynamic and much more scalable system.

Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) is an algorithm used to prevent Layer 2 switching loops by blocking redundant L2 links from passing user traffic. In the event of a link failure, the redundant L2 link will go through the STP port state migration process until it is changed to the 'forwarding' state and begins passing traffic.

Routing advertisements, updates and queries are passed over L3 routed links, not layer 2 switched links, while STP Bridge Protocol Data Units (BPDUs) travel over L2 links, not layer 3 links, so I don't understand why they are imposing an either/or proposition.

I hope I have been able to shed some light.

If so, kindly rate this post.

Victor

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Jim:

I'm not sure what your management is thinking, but STP and EIGRP perform 2 totally separate and unrelated tasks.

EIGRP is a routing protocol that routes IP, IPX or Apple Talk (Layer 3) traffic which allows a router to advertise network reachability to its neighbors. It would replace your current static route methodology with a dynamic and much more scalable system.

Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) is an algorithm used to prevent Layer 2 switching loops by blocking redundant L2 links from passing user traffic. In the event of a link failure, the redundant L2 link will go through the STP port state migration process until it is changed to the 'forwarding' state and begins passing traffic.

Routing advertisements, updates and queries are passed over L3 routed links, not layer 2 switched links, while STP Bridge Protocol Data Units (BPDUs) travel over L2 links, not layer 3 links, so I don't understand why they are imposing an either/or proposition.

I hope I have been able to shed some light.

If so, kindly rate this post.

Victor

Victor,

This is exactly what I told them. I reminded them that we are talking about two totally different layers here. So in short you basically you helped greatly.

Thanks so much!

Jim:

Glad to know I could help you. Please feel free to post here anytime.

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: