Views
Helpful
Replies

CSU/DSU

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i have never worked in a production enviroment i just wanted to know in WAN enviroment How are 2 sites are connected thru routers

Is there a CSU/DSU from a serial interface of router of 1 site connected to the other CSU/dsu of other router of 2nd site

i always practice wan technologies at home by using DTE/DCE back to back cable so i dont know in production enviroment how 2 routers are connected on diferent sites

please let me know i will really apreaciate that.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, the wires from the csu/dsu go into the TDM network of the SP, that is quite complicated and varies from country to country. At some point the copper T1 is converted to fiber by something called a sonet/sdh adm.

You can research with google how these networks are made, there is much material on the internet, be biggest players are nortel, alcaltel, siemens, and even cisco, all the usual names.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Gur:

A CSU/DSU is a necessary interface for transmission over a digital line. It converts Bi-polar AMI signals to uni-polar NRZ. They can be configured with different line coding, signal framing and signal level characteristics, as well as clocking.

CSUs are basically 2-sided devices -- one side operates on the WAN "line" side and the other faces the LAN "DTE" side.

With older router models, the CSU/DSU was a a separate unit whose DTE side would plug into the router's serial interface and the WAN (line) side would plug into the TELCO's NIU. These days, the CSU/DSU is built in, as with the T1 WIC card.

HTH

If so, please rate my post.

Victor

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, the wires from the csu/dsu go into the TDM network of the SP, that is quite complicated and varies from country to country. At some point the copper T1 is converted to fiber by something called a sonet/sdh adm.

You can research with google how these networks are made, there is much material on the internet, be biggest players are nortel, alcaltel, siemens, and even cisco, all the usual names.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card