cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you downgrade a 3750G?

jstewart33
Level 1
Level 1

Here's the problem. I have a stack of 6 3750's in which one of them died. I have a spare on the shelf that I thought I would drop in and replace. The switch that died is a member and am replacing with the exact same model. The problem is the IOS is different. When the switch booted I get the lovely Version Mismatch .Luckily the switch that died hasn't caused an outage due to it just having failover nics plugged into it. So instead of upgrading the whole stack to the newer IOS, can I downgrade the replacement switch? We just had our maintenance window and if I can keep from having to schedule a special maintenance I would prefer that. I'm new to having switches in stacks so if you could provide any additional info or links I would appreciate it. Also, the IOS versions are 12.2(25)SEE3 on the stack and 12.2(30)SE5 on the replacement. Thanks for all the help.

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you mean you want to downgrade the one stack member while it's active in the stack? I don't think that's possible. (Except maybe if you flashed the whole stack with the downgraded version. Which I'm sure you're trying to avoid, and if you were going to do that, likely you would upgrade the whole stack.) If you break it out of the stack then I beleive you can downgrade it. (Perhaps someone knows otherwise.)

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would think you can . Do you see the switch . You should be able to do a copy from flash 1: into whatever switch that is in the stack . If its switch 5 say then do a copy from flash 1 to flash 5 say then just reload that slot and if you have the statement boot system switch-all then it should just load that ios for the switch in . Think I just did this recently and it worked fine .

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

That would be the procedure "Copying an Image File from One Stack Member to Another" provided in your reference?

Thats correct If you are just using a .bin file you can just do COPY FLASH 1: flash 5: imagename , then reload the slot.

Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback. I will give this a shot tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card