Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup/Restore machine on Centralized Management

Hi,

I have 2 c300 with Centralized Management.

I need to saveconfig of the two appliance and to be able to loadconfig if both appliance fail in the same time.

I need to saveconfig at machine level and not the cluster configuration.

thanks.

5 Replies 5

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

No can do, unfortunately. A saveconfig on a clustered unit saves the entire cluster configuration.

bfayne_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 c300 with Centralized Management.

I need to saveconfig of the two appliance and to be able to loadconfig if both appliance fail in the same time.

I need to saveconfig at machine level and not the cluster configuration.

thanks.

Saveconfig on a clustered appliance is actually not supported because of the number of changes to the config.

All you need to do is remove each appliance from the cluster, do a saveconfig, and then add them back to the cluster. As long as you do this one at a time and don't change any settings while the system is out of the cluster, it should be pretty easy to do.

Then if you ever need to do a loadconfig, the system will not be clustered, but the config settings will all be the same. Rebuilding the cluster will then be a simple task.

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

All you need to do is remove each appliance from the cluster, do a saveconfig, and then add them back to the cluster.

Wish I had thought of that. :?

I think it's worth pointing out that you actually have to disassemble the cluster to make this work. This is not the same as simply disconnecting the cluster. A disconnected cluster is still a cluster, it just isn't staying synchronized. The members of the cluster still know that they're in a cluster. You have to take each node out of the cluster entirely and make it a standalone unit, then reconnect it after dumping its config.

bfayne_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

All you need to do is remove each appliance from the cluster, do a saveconfig, and then add them back to the cluster.

Wish I had thought of that. :?

I think it's worth pointing out that you actually have to disassemble the cluster to make this work. This is not the same as simply disconnecting the cluster. A disconnected cluster is still a cluster, it just isn't staying synchronized. The members of the cluster still know that they're in a cluster. You have to take each node out of the cluster entirely and make it a standalone unit, then reconnect it after dumping its config.

Yes, you need to do a "removemachine"...but only for one machine at a time. You don't have to tear down the entire cluster.

You are correct that the "removemachine" command will work but "disconnect" will not return a system to stand-alone mode. :)

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you need to do a "removemachine"...but only for one machine at a time.  You don't have to tear down the entire cluster.

Right. I should have said "partially disassemble." I had hoped that my last sentence sufficiently clarified the point:

You have to take each node out of the cluster entirely and make it a standalone unit, then reconnect it after dumping its config.