cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you tunnel a voice T1 over IP?

philipshuman
Level 1
Level 1

We have two analog phone switches currently connected together via a point to point private T1 line. I would like to replace the T1 between the switches with a pair of Cisco routers and IP network connection (we have plenty of bandwidth for it). What Cisco hardware would I need and what would the configuration look like? Thanks!

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, usually ISR routers are used for that. For example a 2801 voice bundle, with vwic or vwic2 interface, and dsp upgrade to 32 channels (it comes default with 8). Then for the configuration if you never did voip I suggest you get help from the reseller or a consultant initially.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Were you hoping to use the same T1 for both an analog connection between the PBXs and for IP? Do your PBXs support IP interconnections? Or, were you planning to move from analog voice to VoIP?

No, the T1 would be only carry analog voice between the PBXs. The PBXs do not support IP interconnections. The hope would be the routers would be able to transparently tunnel the traffic from one PBX to the other over IP, making it appear as a single T1 circuit between the two.

In theory, should be possible.

In practice, don't have the expertise to comment further.

You might try reposting this question, with diagram, within the Unified Communications and Video Forum.

Thanks, will do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card