Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity and Dummy device issue

ysanadiga01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

There are three Cisco IP phones configured for a location. The customer doesn't want Cisco Unity voicemail configured on any of these devices. The customer wants that a Cisco Unity voicemail should be configured on a Dummy device. The call settings on the 3 Cisco IP phones like No Answer Internal/External should be forwarded to the voicemail of that dummy device.

The problem is that if you directly call the Directory Number of dummy device, the voicemail box works but if a call has been forwarded via any of those 3 Cisco IP phones, the voicemail doesn't work.

I hope that someone can help me to sort out this issue.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

that is expected, unity uses the original called number to determine which element to reach (subscriber, call handlers, etc)

if unity does not find any you will get the opening greeting

if you want that to work you need to create a forwarded call routing rule per phone in which the dialed number matches the DN for the phones and the action configured to reach the dummy subscriber

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello Javalenc,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Is this the only way I can achieve my goal (configuring the voicemail of a dummy device for other Cisco IP phones)?

Regards,

Sana

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sana,

Just to add to the great info from Jaime;

So what you need can be accomplished in at least two ways. Lets say you want the 3 numbers to route to the Dummy number's Voicemail Box when calls are not answered, you can configure a Voicemail profile (in CCM) for the Dummy number and then apply it to the 3 numbers under Directory Number Configuration > Directory Number Settings > Voice Mail Profile

Or in Unity set up Alternate Extensions so that that the 3 phones are set up as Alternate Extensions for the Dummy mailbox. Sharing a Cisco Unity Voice Mail Box between Two or More IP Phones

Configure Alternate Extensions

Open the Unity System Administrator web page.

Navigate to the subscriber's profile. Select Subscribers > Find and Select a Subscriber > Enter Subscriber Information then click Find and click the Subscriber's name for the subscriber that owns the primary phone (Phone B).

When the subscriber page comes up, select the Alternate Extensions option and click Add.

Enter the alternate extension number (in this case the 3 phones) and click the Save icon.

From this good Unity doc;

Sharing a Cisco Unity Voice Mail Box between Two or More IP Phones

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008015ceec.shtml#steps

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: