Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2513

bswinnerton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there everyone,

I'm new to Cisco and thought that I would purchase a Cisco router from ebay however now that I have it here in front of me I'd like to set it up. But i have one problem in front of me, there are two ports one console and one aux port. Now I don't believe that i can hook these up to a switch or something to do testing. Now I have ordered a AUI to RJ45 adapater to plug in, but even still what can I do with the router with only one port?

I was thinking perhaps setting up two ip ranges. For example one being 10.x and one 192.168.x. However I did get the router just to play around and get to learn the commands and what you can do, but I think I'd need the router to do it =) So is there anything I can do with this router?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brooks

The 2513 router should have 1 Ethernet (AUI interface), 1 Token Ring, and 2 serial interfaces. Without other Token Ring devices I do not see much that you can do with the Token Ring interface. If you had some other routers you might be able to establish a back to back serial connection. So I believe that you are right that you can use the router to experiment and see the syntax of various commands. You could connect the Ethernet interface to a switch (if you have a switch). But there is not a lot beyond that, that you can really do with the 2513.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Alright,

I think that I will mess around with it just for the syntax like you said. Would a 2600 serious offer me a little bit more playing around? I figured it might be a little better as it is modular and I can expand.

Thanks for all of your help!

Brooks

A 2600 would probably give you a bit more to experiment with. The 2500 Ethernet interfaces do not do trunking. I believe that the 2600 Ethernet interfaces (at least the FastEthernet interfaces) support trunking which would be an advantage. And with the 2600 being modular you would have some more options than you would have with 2500. Be aware that the 2600 has reached end of life and is no longer actively sold by Cisco. There are many used 2600s available and probably you can get cards and modules for them from various sources.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for all of your help Rick, I'll give the 2600 series a try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card