Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC address public lookups

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

hey guys,

I need to find out the exact device behind our PIX and by comparing the mac address to the device we thought it was, we found out it was not it.

The MAC address 001a.2fdd.42c7 is the exact device behind our PIX and I looked this up in the internet and it just told me that it belongs to Cisco.

Do you have know of a way to find out what the exact device is?

thank you

8 Replies 8

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

Are you looking to track down the exact item on your network or to find out what it is doing and just want to know what it is?

You can go to the switch and depending on the switch depends on the command, but you can find out where it is on your network.

Just need to know your switch types and what you are looking for.

I just need to know what device is.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The command show mac-address-table

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_37_se/command/reference/cli2.html#wp1942455

at the switch, should point out the switchport this device is connected to.

With that information, you can physically trace the cable from the switchport to the patch panel, to the end station.

HTH,

__

Edison.

hey edison, I tried seeing if you had msn or email but nothing. i'd like to engage you for these topics on the next level... I traced the physical cable and I think it goes to a 3750

I'm sorry, this medium is the best way to contact me.

If the physical cable goes to a 3750, repeat the process in that 3750 until you reach the final destination.

HTH,

__

Edison.

no needed apologies here bro

since there is a way of telling who the manufacturer of the nic is by looking at the first 4 digits of a mac address, I was just basically wondering if there was a tool that can read past those first 4 digits and tell, besides the company who made the nic, what the exact device is

with the 1% cisco brains I have, I can telnet to the switch and do a plain cdp something and that will get my answer... :) but again, I was just wondering if there was, or perhaps if there is such a tool

a

The last portion is randomly assigned by the manufacturer and it isn't tracked per device as it's shipped from the factory.

Edison, talking about the last part of the MAC address, I heard an amusing story back in the early days of 10BaseT Ethernet.

There was a popular Ethernet card that I think was called 3C503 or something like that. There was a certain factory that decided it wanted a share of that market by producing (illicit) clones of one of these cards.

So that's what they did - they bought a 3COM card, got its engineers to analyse its behavior, and made many thousands of clones of it ... including its one MAC address.

Imagine ... buying a batch of those for your company!

It may be an urban myth, but it makes a nice story.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco