Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 3 questions if i could get any help.

i just got my 2950 switches from ebay how can i check that they are working in good condition and shortly i will get some routers how can check them too

Q1. what command should i use to check that ?

Q2. how can i access them from my office if i have internet at my home, is it by telneting them?

Q3.In a production enviroment how do network adminstrator access remote routers and swithes?

Do they telnet into the router or switch thru the interface,

how does it works?

Please help me

Thank you

18 Replies 18

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

To check that the switches work:

-Connect a rollover cable to the console connection to your workstation.

-Open up a Terminal Service of choice, 9600, 8, None, 1 settings

-Plug in power

If it powers up and you see text, it means it is operational, not neccessarily usable, just that it passes the POST.

Commands:

sh run - to verify if any config is present

sh ver - to verify IOS and memory

Remote access is done via telnet.

Most cisco admin's use telnet. You could use Cisco Network Assistant, but most use telnet.

How it works, kind of a long detailed question, but basically allows multiple connections to one outside interface for internet/network traffic.

Router connects to a switch port via a trunk configuration, interfaces connect to other workstations or switches to either extend the segment or connect pc's

Hi

I just wanted to know what do mean by ........"allows multiple connections to one outside interface for internet/network traffic."

Do mean to say routers and end devices connected to the switches are accesesed from outside (eg-home)thru pn to the router and then to the switch

Can give me an example

How can access my home lab from my office

Is it like i just open a terminal emulator on my office computer and then telnet to it or any other way??

"allows multiple connections to one outside interface for internet/network traffic."

Means, switch is basically used to connect multiple end devices and there will be one outsite interface which will be utilised for internet traffic, this out interface may/maynot be connected to router.

There are two ways to access your home lab from office.

1) You can login through RDP(remote desktop) by registering in logme website.

2) You should have the Netmeeting configured in your home PC and also your office PC. This is also another way to access the lab.

Let me know whether this works...

Hi Nalini,

Tell me when it's about security - then why should I go for some third party software/ website? Also my personal experience saying that is not enough useful, then Team Viewer. Net meeting is also a good option I have a doubt on that.

Thanks

Goutam

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

For your Q1*, u can go for the following:

1.sh environment

2.sh run

3.sh ip route

4.sh ip account (if enable)

5.sh ip cache fl (if enable)

For Cisco Switch:

1.sh spanning-tree

2.sh vlan brief

3.sh vtp status

*Also its depends as per your requirments and as per your network.

For your Q2, the most secure way to access the office network from home via any Access-gateway (SSL). For that you have to a NMS server to your network and you will be connect that server via AG.

You can go for telnet also but it's not a good option, for that you must have a Public IP. As per my opinion, SSH login by AAA will also be a good option if it's configured in your network.

For your Q3, yes they can. But thing is that when your are deploying a production network, then you must configure all active device with the option to login via telnet, ssh etc etc.

Hope the above post can help you, if you have any more query, pls come back.

Thanks

Goutam

Pls rate if its clarify u!!!

Hi

i appreciate your help and is very useful

I am sorry but i am a novice to this industry

what is AAA server used for and what is it functions

and to access my home lab from office first i need to use RDP to my home PC or Telnet?

Hi,

For Cisco AAA stands for Authentication, Authorization, Accounting.

You can visit: http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/secure/configuration/guide/schaaa.html for AAA.

To access your Home LAB from Office there are several way, & also it depends your network structures.

Thanks

Goutam

Pls rate if it helps U!!!

Hi

can you please list me some of the ways to access my basic home lab having 1 router and 1 switch thru my office pc using internet

please help

Thanks

do you have public IP's?

configure your outside interface on the router with a public IP and telnet to it.

then from the router you can telnet to your switch private ip by adding a route in the router.

to secure your external access you can create ACL's or build a AAA server or create usernames for login

great

I am sorry i am just a novice but how do start telnet from my office pc to reach the router with public IP at my home

do i go to the emulator or to the command prompt and start telnet

Thanks

easiest free method is open command shell

type:

telnet

as long as you have login access via TTY then you should be able to log in.

hi

is it also possible from the emulator

or not

does your emulator allow you to use telnet?

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Rick Morris & Gursaran have clarify you enough, with the addition I'd like to suggest you to access your home lab (if Elu. Supports) via SSH & with a username with the help of AAA.

Thanks

Goutam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco