cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory for 7206VXR NPE-G1

mcallahan313
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7206VXR with a NPE-G1. The G1 currently has 256MB (2x128MB) of memory. The memory modules are SMART part # SM5721685D4DZCHMB5.

We ordered 1GB (2x512MB) as an upgrade.

The new memory is SMART part # SM572648FD8DWCLS

They system will not boot with the new memory installed. Power OK LED lights, as do each of the Gigabit EN LEDs but I get no output to the console and no response from the system.

I have tried 2 different sets of 2 memory modules (from the same vendor) and get the same result. The system works fine with the 2x128 chips installed.

Are there any upgrade limitations or restrictions I'm overlooking? All of the Cisco documentation seems to indicate that the NPE-G1 should accept 2x128MB, 2x256, and 2x512 memory modules.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Well, it's not Cisco memory (the Cisco part number is MEM-NPE-G1-1GB) so the only support you can get is from the memory vendor.

See Cisco's policy here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/prod_warranty09186a00800b5594.html

And from the Install Guide:

"Note: Only SDRAM from Cisco Systems should be used. A Cisco part number appears on the SODIMM."

That said, if it truly is identical to the Cisco-branded memory then there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

HTH

Andrew.

That was my understanding. Thanks for the reply.

M

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: