cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2821 initial hardware setup What do I need

techsol12
Level 1
Level 1

I need some guidance on which modules are necessary for the 2821 to: 1. provide the connection for a fractional T1 split 16 channels voice and 8 channels data, 2. a data only T1, 3. 8 servers on gigabit ethernet, 4. Voicemail, 5. call recording, 6. pots line backup capability, 7. I want to use cisco switches for workstation connectivity utilizing one wire to the workstation for both phone and pc at gigabit speed, 8. voip phone which model?

thanks

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How many ip phones you need?

Currently 24 phones, growth in 3 years to 40 phones. Also, no receptionist we are DID only.

For the router, you a need a cisco2821-ccme/k9 (comes with ccme license and PVDM2-32), vwic-2mft-t1 or vwic2-2mft-t1/e1, vic2-2fxo.

For voice messaging you need aim-cue or nm-cue. The latter is faster when installing/configuring, but both work ok.

For the switch I suggest you get the WS-C2960-24PC-L that is new and supports PoE for the phones. For the Gigabit servers, if no layer 3 needs, you can use the 2960G.

The phones, really it depends on what you like and how much you can spend. Try avoiding the 7911 if possible because it has many limitations.

I like the 7931 that has many buttons, a good display, speakerphone and is cheap.

Call recording is a third-part product, there are many vendors.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!