Views
Helpful
Replies

Location Appliance Help required

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I have a WCS,WLC and LOC deployed. The integration betwen the WLC and WCS is working perfectly. We didn't put a lot of access points in the deployment because we didn't need acurate location tracking but at least we need some.

The problem is the location appliance is not able to pull any information about the connected clients. No clients shows on the map eventhough the APs report connected clients.

One issue I had is when I try to synchronize the network design with the location appliance I get the below error:

"Element found and will be pulled to WCS".

I appreciate any help with issue as it is quite urgent,

Regards,

22 Replies 22

sabhasin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What code are we talking here? Please make sure that the time is set correctly on the location server. Also, please paste the output of 'getserverinfo' if you could.

Regarding the error message - that means that the location server was previously synchronized with another WCS server (or could be the same one) and its database already contains elements (such as maps) which it'd like to ask you to pull into WCS. You could just say no if you don't want that happening.

Hello,

Thanks the info. I haven't checked the time on the location appliance but I did make sure that I chose the same time zone as in the WLC. Could that be the problem why I am not seeing any clients?

As for the error message, even if I do a new map I am getting this error. It also doesn't give me the option of pulling it or not. I just get the error.

Let me know what you think

Thanks and appreciate your help,

Regards,

Yeah, time has to be correctly configured (in addition to the timezone). Starting from 4.1 (WLC) and 3.1 (Location), a new protocol, called LOCP, and now renamed to NMSP, was introduced for communications between the controller and location appliance. As a result, a certificate is created on the controller (do a "show auth-list" and look for LBS-SSC). Perhaps this didn't get created or something went wrong. Deleting the cert and removing and re-adding the location server might be the fastest way to sync-up again. Anyways, please provide the software versions for LOC, WCS and WLC so I have an idea of what you might be running into.

Hello,

Thank you very much. I will delete the location appliance, make sure the time is correct then re-sync. The question is would this solve the error I am getting when I synch the maps with the location?

Wednesday I will be onsite and will get the info you requested,

Thanks again,

well, even if you create a new map, the location server's database still keeps the older maps and elements in there. You'd have to wipe the database clean (which would be a good idea anyway since you're using it elsewhere now). I don't think this creates any production issues though and you can chose to ignore the message.

Would resetting the location appliance clear everythng? Another question, do you think I will get location info for devices like laptops with little ammount of access points?

Remark: The access points are overlapping

Thanks,

yeah, here's the snippet for 3.1 location code:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/location/2700/3.1/configuration/guide/lacg_ch9.html#wp1048908

Regarding the location info, it'd depend on how the APs are deployed (and i'd assume you've looked at the location deployment guide?). Nonetheless, on average we'd recommend approximately 70feet linear separation and a minimum of three APs that can see the 802.11 device you want to track.

If one OR two APs are able to see the device would the location appliance provide info or it won't unless there are three APs?

The issue that the client bought the location appliance and I need to use it otherwise he won't consider the deployment successfull.

Your input is appreciated,

Remark:

- The client mentioned that without the location appliance we can get some sort of tracking from the WLC and WCS but I assured him that to track locations he needs the location appliance as this is what Cisco has on the documentation, right?

Regards,

With one or two APs, the location would be quite poor, as far as my experience is concerned. Lead with the fact that all deployment guidelines state 3 as the bare minimum for decent location tracking. Your client is correct in the fact that WCS will show the location of a device but the limitation is that WCS will only show ONE device at a time, and does not do any historical/detailed information on clients. Hope that helps :)

Sbahasin,

I really appreciate your quick feedbacks. The thing I want to reach is to let the client see connected clients even if the location is not 100% accurate but I need to show him clients on the map. Do you think I will survive? :-)

Regards,

no worries. happy to help...

I won't promise, but you might survive. just make sure you set the expectations up-front :)

I will but when you said the location appliance will be poor? What did you mean? Did you mean the location won't be that accurate?

Thanks,

Hello,

The issue was resolved afer I upgraded the LOC from 3.0 to the latest version. I was running WCS 5 with LOC 3.0. On the WCS release notes and Location appliance release notes they say they are compatible. Now everything is working but I had the location appliance located some connected users and suddenly they disappeared from the map and after like 15 minutes they used to appear and then disappear after few minutes.

I am getting the below in the logs:

Failed to find any APs in the database for a RSSI list location

I appreciate the help,

Regards,

Hmm. are the APs correctly placed on the Maps?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card