Replies

Multilayer Campus Design Layer 2 Access with Layer 3 Distribution

ishai
Level 1
Level 1

Multilayer Campus Design

Layer 2 Access with Layer 3 Distribution

Hi

im trying to set up a network with a l3 in the distribution and a l2 in the access

L3 L3 (3845)

| |

|-----L3-------L3---| (3750)

\ /

\ /

L2

But im getting in to troubles when i deploy it

The core is 3845 routers the distribution is 3750 switches talking in between them EIGRP the cross link is a L3 ether channel,

The L2 switch is also a 3750 switch with a MGT VLAN

The vlans are configured on the two distribution switches as (SVI's) and are know in the whole network, no issues there

The problems staring when i test the failover (HSRP) , i disconnect a trunk on the l2 switch and all the network is falling,

EIGRP neighbors go down

HSRP takes a long time to fail over

All Vlan disconnect

but when i make the crosslink a L2 Trunk... then all is good

Who can advise?

Thank you

22 Replies 22

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

I would suggest you have a L2 etherchannel between the core switches and routed ports that connect to the 3845. If the etherchannel is L3, then the HSRP hellos actually flow down your trunks and hence a trunk disconnect would lead to HSRP missing hellos

Since you do not have a cross connection i.e each 3845 has only one connection to the core, you can define a /30 SVI (vlan should be allowed on the L2 etherchannel trunk) and run eigrp over it. This will ensure the required redundancy in terms of failover to the other 3845 if you lose the connection to one 3845.

Other possibility would be to stack the 3750's into one logical switch rather than etherchannels and still maintaining the redundant connections to the physical boxes

HTH

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

Thanks for your fast reply

Regarding the sentence you can define a /30 SVI (vlan should be allowed on the L2 ether channel trunk) and run EIGRP over it.

This is exactly my issue trunk is a layer 2, SVI is layer 3 ,I can choose only one either a trunk or an L3 p2p for EIGRP,

If I choose L2 then I lose my secondary 3750 (distribution) switch EIGRP wise (no L3 communication)

Do you see what I mean?

Hi

No you don't lose your L3 communication. if you have a L2 trunk between your 2 3750's with a vlan 2 SVI on each then they will see each other as EIGRP neighbours and will form an adjacency.

A L2 trunk does not mean Layer 3 cannot communicate over it.

Jon

Ill test it right away

thanks

I would like to also suggest further consideration of Narayan's note for the possibility of stacking.

It would allow equal cost outbound WAN routing (although EIGRP can support the unequal cost, if you configure it).

It would allow the dual uplinks to be used in a channel configuration.

It simplifies the topology, both L2 and L3.

It increases the bandwidth between the two 3750s.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

I agree wholeheartedly with what Narayan has said. Just to add one thing. If you run a L3 link between your 2 distribution 3750's then HSRP will have to travel via the access layer.

It's difficult to say without seeing all your topology but if you disconnect a trunk then it may well be that STP needs to reconverge before any packets can be passed through the access layer.

As Narayan recommends a better solution is to connect your 3750 switches with a L2 link and ensure that the link between the 2 3750's is not getting blocked by STP.

Jon

Ishai:

I would have to disagree with Narayan's recommendation to connect the core "switches", routers, really, with an L2 etherchannel.

There is no reason to extend the L2 switch domain up to the core and thereby expand the failure domain in the event of an L2 loop. The core -- when deployed in an expanded tolopology, not a collapsed core -- should be a 100% routed (L3 switched) layer. In fact, for the last 2 years, Cisco has been pushing its routed access layer design, which will get rid of the L2 trunks between access and distro altogether and have them replaced with L3 routed uplinks. The purpose is to minimize the switched domain and mitigate the occurence of an L2 loop.

The reason why your failover test failed was that HSRP requires that both the active and standby nodes be placed in a common subnet. That's why it worked when you turned the inter-switch link between the distro layer switches into an L2 trunk. You had effectively extended the vlan across the layer, which is what you're supposed to do.

It's true that you're running a lopped triangle toplogy, so as Jon pointed out, once STP converges, traffic will once again begin to flow from the access layer.

HTH

Victor

Hi Victor

From Narayan's post

"I would suggest you have a L2 etherchannel between the core switches and routed ports that connect to the 3845"

So I'm not sure Narayan is suggesting running Layer 2 in the core. The way i read the post was to run L2 between the distribution switches and run routed links to the 3845's which form the core of the network. I think Narayan just referred to he 3750's as the core switches.

Mind you i could be wrong.

Jon

Jon:

You may be right and I did think of that. But I did want to clear that point up because it's important.

Victor

So easy to misread something, when reading these posts. (Not that that ever happens to me; cough.)

Ishai refers to the 3845s as the "core" while Narayan refers to the 3750s as the core. (As an aside, looking at the topology diagram, I too would think of the 3750s as core and the 3845s as WAN edge.)

However, given a layer 2 access edge to the 3750s, Narayan's suggestion would be the normal recommendation. (I suspect we all agree.)

Victor's recommendation, would be preferred with routed paths, such as his description of using L3 at the edge. (Here too I suspect we all agree.)

Ishai, please be aware that these posts often address just the issue asked, with additional information sometimes thrown in, but there might be much more unsaid. For instance, we haven't discussed with Narayan's suggestion which port or ports should normally block within the spanning tree loop.

We haven't discussed how you allocate VLANs. If you have any that span edge switches, your topology opens itself up to the possible issue of unicast flooding (also negated if you stack the 3750s).

Cisco's web site provides some excellent design guides; worth reading.

Joseph:

I suspect you're complicating and confusing things even more by doing a play-by-play of what he/she said...

It's simple and doesnt require Perry Mason and being verbose. ;-)

If it's a collapsed core design, then you will have to have an L2 trunk at "the core" to satisfy HSRP's common subnet requirement, which I stated in my post. If that's what Narayan thought, which is what I suspect, too, as I told Jon, then all is clear.

If it's an expanded core (where you have separate core and distro layers) then I recommend you keep the L2 link at the distribution layer.

HTH

victor

Victor,

Perhaps, you're correct about "complicating and confusing things even more", more on this in moment, but I also had an alternative motive. I wanted to work in the possible issue of unicast flooding which I had forgotten to mention in my original post.

As to "complicating and confusing things even more", I thought your first two paragraphs could mislead, especially the first "I would have to disagree with Narayan's recommendation to connect the core "switches", routers, really, with an L2 etherchannel.". In fact, I was going to write an I disagree with your disagree, but Jon's post arrived, and your follow up.

Even your follow up "You may be right and I did think of that. But I did want to clear that point up because it's important.", I too thought this might mislead, since it's not totally clear, I think, whether you now fully agree with Narayan's suggestion and what point you were trying to emphasis.

For myself, from reading your posts on this thread, and reading other of your posts (i.e. additional understanding of your knowledge), you didn't make any errors beyond perhaps possibly confusing the OP on mixing core vs. edge issues, when the question started with HSRP. Again, your information was correct, but presentation of additional issues might have confused a less knowledgeable reader, especially their application.

So, I had hoped to try to make clear, by way of he/she said, the points both you and Jon were making, for other readers and the OP. Apologies to all, and especially to you Victor, if I did make things even more complicated and/or confusing.

Joseph:

Take a deep breath, buddy... :-)

Life is good, trust me.

HTH

Victor

Joseph

Speaking for myself no apologies necessary. I have always found your posts particularly insightful and appreciate the time you take with them.

Victor, totally agree with what you were saying re. the topology, just thought we may have confused the OP.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco