Views
Helpful
Replies

Collection

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I'm not sure if the forum already have this or similar feature and if somebody recomended the same.

I would like to mark posts and put them in my "Collection" for easy access in the future. From this "Collection", I can also create "Topics" to separate different topics, in case I marked too many posts :)

Sometimes I hit a problem which I remember seeing a post in the forum similar to my problem or the same but have problem looking for it. Also, sometimes I see an interesting topic which I like to save somewhere for future reference.

Regards,

Dandy

9 Replies 9

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Nice idea Dandy. 5-star.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Thanks man!

I agree with Kevin: great idea!

In the meantime I've been using del.icio.us to keep track of forum posts of interest to me.

If you haven't seen it before, it might meet your needs: http://del.icio.us/

-James.

James,

Wow, I find it very interesting you use del.icio.us to track your posts on NetPro. Can you please explain how you do this? In fact, I'd love to hear what other 3rd party applications people are using to enhance the value of NetPro. Let's see who uses a 3rd party application in the most interesting way.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

I use the del.icio.us plugin for Firefox (it's called "del.icio.us buttons").

If I come across a post I might want to refer back to, I'll add it to my collection with the appropriate tags. "Tags" are analogous to "keywords", it's just the nomenclature that del.icio.us uses. Usually my tags are something like "cisco" and then the detail I want to remember, like "dtmf".

I've noticed that from time to time, my bookmark for a conversation fails. Since the forum is database-driven, it doesn't surprise me that the URLs change from time to time. However, a nice feature I've seen on other forums is a "permalink" function. This is a permanent URL for a conversation, rather than a dynamic one.

While I'm on the topic of neat features I'd love to see here, there are a few things I've wished for:

1. The ability to expand a conversation entirely (show all pages), or skip directly to the newest posts. An example would be the "free of charge wallboard" thread. It's getting to be 80+ entries, so it spans several pages. A new reader to that thread will have to click though 5 or 6 pages to reach the most recent entries.

2. More persistent attachments. I know you need to strike a balance between data-bloat and usefulness, but it's always a shame when I come across a thread with a neat-sounding attachment (usually a script) that has expired. I've seen several older conversations with a series of "please repost the attachment" requests. I don't know if you're able to implement a selective filter, but it strikes me that any attachment under 10kB could probably last a little longer than a 100kB log file. Alternatively, to save space you could automatically gzip or zip attachments. Since the majority of them are text files (or text-based scripts) they would compress >50% to save server space.

3. Finally, I know you've been adding HTML into the forum, and I'm glad it's been a considered approach.

I was reading in another thread about this process, and I agree that using font size and colour tags is probably a bad idea (too open to abuse).

One set of tags that might be really handy for web-literate posters are the

and
      elements for lists. It would let posters better organize the content of their conversations, and improve readability. (For example, I would have used it for items 1, 2 and 3 above, so that they would have auto-indented and been easier to read).

Sorry about the long and wordy post! I'm in awe of how useful this forum is and how generous some of the members are with their time and knowledge. I think you've got a great thing going here, and I only hope that I can contribute back to it once I reach a higher level of knowledge myself.

Thanks for your time, best regards,

-James.

James,

Just thought you'd like to know based off your feedback we'll be increasing the length an attachment will be active for to 5 years.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you! That's a fantastic piece of news for a Monday morning!

Regards,

-James.

Daniel Bruhn
Level 8
Level 8

Dandy,

This is an interesting idea that I'd like to flesh out a little more. We did have a “bookmarks” feature in the past but our data indicated it wasn't used so we took it down. Would your “collection” idea be similar to bookmarks or are you envisioning something different?

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

I haven't notice/heard the *bookmark* so I can't comment on the similarity.

I haven't use some of the forum feature. Though they may be useful to me, I don't know if they exist, or too lazy to look at every feature what benefits they can give to me.

I think one way of telling the member of any feature (old or new) is to advertise them. There are many ways to advertise them, not necessary aggressive advertisement :)

I'm also doing web programming to display the statistics of the services the client bought from us and I don't want to waste my effort on putting some feature in the web where nobody use it and I know it will be very useful to them. What I do is I advertise the feature to the user, and I always get positive response.

For example, run a random short message in the login page like;

"Did you know that you can make a collection of useful/meaningful post that might help you in the future?"

The message should be clickable and when the user click on it, it will bring them to the feature "How To" guide.

Thanks,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links