cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate limiting an interface

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

How do I limit the amount of bandwidth utilized on an interface on a 3825? We are looking at replacing our internet like with one that is a static instead of the burst feature we use today. To assist with the size we are thinking of trying to limit the amount of bandwidth on our current link. I have tried using a couple things with the bandwidth statements but seem to be missing something. I am using Netflow to verify the results.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The bandwidth statement, on an interface, doesn't control bandwidth.

For outbound, you can rate limit or shape on the interface, or use CBWFQ which also supports policing and shaping.

e.g. (syntax might be incorrect)

serial 1

traffic-shape rate 500

For inbound, bandwidth consumption across a link is generally very ineffective. You really want to control the otherside's outbound.

Traffic shaping is what I was thinking. Thanks. Outbound is all that I can limit as the inbound is handled by the ISP. I just want to see what the affect would be if we have a static before converting to make sure we allow ourselves enough bandwidth. I would hate to get everything installed and then realize it is too small.

Thanks...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card