cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One more time. Exchange 2007

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

Sorry does E2k7 have to be the partner server to 5.0?

If not what features do we lose if any.

I did search for docs but did not find any.

Ginger???

rlp

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

it's a two stage event. I would upgrade to Unity 5.x first and integrate to Exchange 2003.

Install your Exchange 2007 server

If you do not have a spare server to use for migration, you will have to move everyone to the new message store at the same time. (meaning every subscriber on Unity that uses 2003, be migrated to 2007 at the sametime) You will then have to re-run message store wizard and rehome from 2003 to 2007.

If you want to do this in phases, you need (2) unity servers. Unity 4.2 to Exchange 2003 and Unity 5.x to Exchange 2007. Digital Network the Unity servers and you can then migrate Exchange users at your pleasure without affecting Voicemail.

View solution in original post

Yeah, that will get yeah everytime. I do find that moving GSM is small groups of "20's" seem to work better than hundreds at a time. Also to wait after it's done before deleting or changing subscriber information. Just in case the database is still syncing up.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It does not have to be partnered with Exchange 2007. It will work with 2003 just fine. However, there are a couple things to note:

If your Exchange Org is pure 2007, you will not be able to install a 2003 Exchange server into the Org.

If your Exchange Org is 2003, you can install 2007 into the Org.

If you have Unity 5.x running, you can only use Exchange 2003 or 2007, not both.

If you have Unity 5.x running, you can use multiple Exchange 2003 server, (only 2000, 2003)

And then of course, Unity 4.x only can use 2000 and 2003. There is no workaround for 2007 Exchange.

Let me know if this make sense

cheers!

If you are pointed to 2007 and do not have 2003 in the org, you can have multiple 2007's right?

I currently have Unity 421 and e2k2003. I want to upgrade our org to 2007.

You said:

If you have Unity 5.x running, you can only use Exchange 2003 or 2007, not both.

It is not possible to do a inplace upgrade to 2007 to my understanding. I would have to have 2003 and 2007 in the org at the same time for about 2 months.

I am going to test this in the lab first. should I upgrade unity first to 5.0, then upgrade 2007 on another server, then point Unity to that server?

rlp

it's a two stage event. I would upgrade to Unity 5.x first and integrate to Exchange 2003.

Install your Exchange 2007 server

If you do not have a spare server to use for migration, you will have to move everyone to the new message store at the same time. (meaning every subscriber on Unity that uses 2003, be migrated to 2007 at the sametime) You will then have to re-run message store wizard and rehome from 2003 to 2007.

If you want to do this in phases, you need (2) unity servers. Unity 4.2 to Exchange 2003 and Unity 5.x to Exchange 2007. Digital Network the Unity servers and you can then migrate Exchange users at your pleasure without affecting Voicemail.

So if I understand right, if I have 2 unity 5.0 servers I can partner one to the 2003 and one to the 2007 at the same time?

rlp

Bingo

And if you have Unity 5.x running, you can only use Exchange 2003 (if you are partnered with 2003) or 2007 (if you are partnererd with 2007), not both.

But you could use both if you were digital networked and 2 seperat Unity servers.

Just restating in my own words to make sure I got it right.

rlp

Tommer,

Revisiting this because I am testing it in the lab right now. Next wed I am getting 2 brand new Unity servers and the 2 exchange servers are already here.

So in my lab there is something I did wrong or there is something not right. I just want to get GSM working right.

I have 2 Unity servers. One 4.2.1 and one 7.01 EFT (should be the same as 5.01)

Both are in the same domain and in the same dialing domain.

I think everthing is setup right but I only ge delete subscriber as a choice when right clicking.

Any ideas? I am going to recheck all of the permissions again. Right now.

Randy

I think I fixed GSM - Stream Files was not shared properly. :-(

rlp

Yeah, that will get yeah everytime. I do find that moving GSM is small groups of "20's" seem to work better than hundreds at a time. Also to wait after it's done before deleting or changing subscriber information. Just in case the database is still syncing up.

Can I do the following in my migration?

1. Partner both Unity 421 and 501 to the Exchange 2003 server. (I have done this)

2. Use GSM and move all the subscribers (20-30 at a time) to the Unity 5.01

3. Then install Exchange 2007 and migrate the email boxes.

What is the best order?

I have as many servers as I need to do this.

The reason why I ask is it is easier for the exchange admin in our company to do it that way.

rlp

There is no problem doing it this way. Just need to re-run the mailstore wizard to build the 2007 powershell script after you move the mailboxes from 2003-2007. And after you move the move the mailboxes, do it quick because otherwise Unity will not know where to deliver voicemails, etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: