cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

simulated WAN

mgmcelwee
Level 1
Level 1

I am wanting to hook up a simulated WAN with an ISR 2821 to an ISR 1811. I want to assign a separate network on each outside interface, and then hook them together and pass data between the two different networks. Is there a possible way to make this happen? Thanks in advance for any response that I get.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure, usually people use serial interfaces with DCE cables, and adjust clock to simulate different circuit speeds.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Unfortunately, I do not have serial ports or DCE cables. I am wanting to hook them together going from outside interface G0/0 (2821) to outside interface FE0/0 (1811) using an ethernet cable. I am getting a link light on both routers when I hook them together, but I am not able to pass data between them. I should be able to at least ping on router to the other right? Is there a certain routing statement that I need to add in order for this scenario to work?

The easiest way would be to just assign both of those outside interfaces an ip address in the same subnet. It would then treat it as a point to point WAN link over Ethernet.

To use different addresses between the two to fully simulate a WAN link between two locations across another network, you would ideally want another router in between that can route between the two subnets.

I wanted to keep them on the different subnets, so what I ended up doing is building a VPN tunnel between the two routers. Once the tunnel came in I was able to pass data across from on PC on one network to another PC on the other network. I also had to assign a static route statement that pointed all traffic on the routers to point to the outside interfaces. Worked like a charm once everything was in place. Thanks to everyone for all your help!

I usually use a layer 3 switch as the cloud. It's nice because you can emulate real public IP's at each end (assuming this a lab environment that never touches the public internet).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco